• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Cellphone repairs free under MTN Contract?

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Ok, so the last few times I've needed my phones repaired, I've taken them into the nearest MTN service centre and received them back fixed, no problems (and no costs).

It always seems a bit touch and go for me though, because I've never actually seen the T&Cs for these repairs - does anybody know these?

I know that there are instances under which cellphone operators can refuse to repair contract cellphones (including water damage), but how does it work in practice?

I need to take my phone in for another repair, and I don't know whether MTN will contact me to offer me a quote for the repair if they feel it won't be covered under the warranty, or if they'd just reject it outright.

Admission: ok, this time it was my fault, I dropped it :'( Will MTN fix it because it's still under contract?

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Touch screen stopped responding in some places. The gorilla glass cover is not even scratched, but the screen below shows some hairline ruptures and I think a contact maybe broke (hopefully just requiring solder?).

ahoudet

Expert Member
Touch screen stopped responding in some places. The gorilla glass cover is not even scratched, but the screen below shows some hairline ruptures and I think a contact maybe broke (hopefully just requiring solder?).
I doubt they'll cover that unfortunately

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Well, for the record it's a Sony. However, I don't even mind if they don't ... I just want to know if they'd give me a quote for the repair cost, so that I could calculate whether it's better to repair it or buy a new one cash.

Has nobody had this happen to them with MTN, or do people just write off their own phones? lol

ahoudet

Expert Member
Well, for the record it's a Sony. However, I don't even mind if they don't ... I just want to know if they'd give me a quote for the repair cost, so that I could calculate whether it's better to repair it or buy a new one cash.

Has nobody had this happen to them with MTN, or do people just write off their own phones? lol
They should quote first

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Ok, so visited MTN service centre today and here are the lessons learned:

1: You need to take your phone's charger with you, otherwise MTN won't accept it for repair. Is it just me or is that a bit weird? We're going to have to go back tomorrow because we didn't expect to need the charger.
2: You get a quote within four days for the repair, and if you reject the quote you need to pay a R350 assessment fee.

The big question then is: what's the quote going to be?

My phone (a Sony Xperia V) costs just over R4 000 new, so I wouldn't mind paying up to R1 000 to repair the screen. That's a 25% investment, and my phone's a lot better than anything else out there new for R1 000.

However, anything much beyond that and it gets real fuzzy ... there's no point paying 50% of a phone's new replacement value just on a single repair.

Anybody ever had a screen repaired before, and willing to share the total cost of that?

Venomous

Honorary Master
I won't accept your laptop for repairs without the charger.

There are so many different PSUs that it is impossible to keep spares for all the various laptops out there. So I would understand if the same applied to mobile phones and other devices.

Anneli4

Dead phone

Hi. I have a LG G4 phone under contract from MTN. Last week my phone was working fine one moment and the next moment it was dead. I tried charging it but to no avail. When I put the charger in it says charging 2% and then the screen goes black. Nothing works. What I want to know is will MTN repair it for me free of charge.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Hi. I have a LG G4 phone under contract from MTN. Last week my phone was working fine one moment and the next moment it was dead. I tried charging it but to no avail. When I put the charger in it says charging 2% and then the screen goes black. Nothing works. What I want to know is will MTN repair it for me free of charge.
If it's under contract, repairs are free. Just take the original contract documentation and the phone charger in with you.

Anneli4

Tx. Hopefully they can determine what it is. I am thinking it has to be a software problem, but will wait and see what they find.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
You must insist on a quote. Get the person who is booking in the phone to confirm it will just be a quote. Get it in writing. I've had friends who have take in phones for minor problems and being told that the phones have been repaired and the bill is $$$$$.

Many (unscrupulous?) repair centres will say there is signs of corrosion and therefore water damage. Has been reported many times on MyBB. Its an easy option for the repair centre to pass the blame to you.

Worth just asking them to contact the repair guys and give an estimate on a replacement screen.

If the phone is under warranty make sure you unRoot it and get the firmware back to stock if you have improved it.

Most contracts say that:
The phone is covered by a 6 month manufacturer's warranty. (doesn't cover physical or software damage)
Any damage to the phone (physical or software) is your responsibility.
Where the phone comes as part of the contract, the network owns the phone until the contract is settled.