Cellular Modem advice

rkcj

Hi there,

I will be running a pfsense router, and would like some input on what cellular device I could use for the internet connection. As I understand it, the device could either be USB or Ethernet.

- Network Vodacom
- The location is rural, with low signal strength, so the device will need to be able to take some form of external antenna
- LTE-A preferred to future proof, but only if its not insanely expensive, as LTE will be just fine for now

Thanks.

Captain Morgan

Pfsense is a firewall, not a router.

Usb is for portable connections (mifi). Get a B315 / B525 / B618 LTE router.

rkcj

I looked at the official recommended list as found in the below link, the only devices that came up in South African searches were from circa 2014, or prior. Am wondering if it is out of date, and was looking for input from the local community.

I already have a B315, but haven't found anywhere to put it in bridge mode, and want to avoid double NAT.

Captain Morgan

I looked at the official recommended list as found in the below link, the only devices that came up in South African searches were from circa 2014, or prior. Am wondering if it is out of date, and was looking for input from the local community.

I already have a B315, but haven't found anywhere to put it in bridge mode, and want to avoid double NAT.
Hi,

Unfortunately the B315 offer very limited network settings.

Depending on which network you are using with the B315, you might be able to change to an unrestricted apn. With this you can essentially do dmz and port forwarding.
You would then set dmz to the wan ip of your pfsense box, which will put pfsense on the edge (in front of the B315).

Alternatively you can possibly look at the TP-Link LTE routers, which allows you to change a whole lot of network settings.