ChatGPT passes Google's test for people applying to be programmers

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
ChatGPT passes Google's coding job test

OpenAI's ChatGPT language model recently passed a tough coding interview that would qualify it to be employed as a Google engineer.

This was the result of one of the tests conducted by a team of Google workers comparing artificial intelligence (AI) tools, according to an internal document seen by CNBC.

The riddle was as follows:

“Three women are in a room. Two of them are mothers and have just given birth. Now, the children’s fathers come in. What is the total number of people in the room?”

While LaMDA replied with the correct answer of “7”, ChatGPT either appeared to fail to count the children or the fathers as it responded with “5”.

ChatGPT is smarter than google, google should just phrase their questions better. Instead of explaining myself I'm just going to modify the same question slightly:

2023_02_06_12_58_48_People_In_Room_Count.jpg

It could be 6 as well as one of the children might be female.
i.e. 2 mothers, 2 children (1 female 1 male), 2 fathers.

huh? genders, especially that of the children, has nothing to do with the question xD

In SA it would be at least 25 with the high rate of having decuplets.

What a stupid riddle

The answer is more an assumption. We don't know how many children there have been given birth to, and I guess this is why ChatGPT possibly ignored it as a total. We assume that a single child at birth is the norm and that all other cases are exceptions to the rule.

Then... as per the question, it doesn't state whether the children are still in the room. Also... given social complexities... Fathers, mother won't tell ;)

I am more surprised that google entry engineers earns a R3,2 mil salary, damn should have studied IT.

Three women are in the room, the kids fathers then come in. Nowhere is it mentioned that the kids are in the room, only that the mothers gave birth recently. The correct answer is 5 people.

“Three women are in a room. Two of them are mothers and have just given birth. Now, the children’s fathers come in. What is the total number of people in the room?”

This sounds like one of those ambiguous internet math questions that cause people to argue to get engagement metrics up.

Does it cater for the 100 different genders and LGBTQI+ terms e.g so if the females "present" as male and pan / bi / etc as well ?

Back