Cheap router suggestion

DeadmanResting

Hello there..
Maybe you guys can help. So have a Huawei router with a Rain sim. I get okay speeds 40/50Mbps mostly but my issues is that the router is not so great. First of the WiFi coverage is horrible, I can go from full bars to 1 bar while sitting in the same room, no 5ghz and also no data limiting features.
What affordable router can I get to connect to my LTE router so that the new one handles all the WiFi/Ethernet everyday stuff and my old one just acts as a modem. Preferably under R1K. Not looking for anything fancy.

STORMERSFAN

Expert Member
Hello there..
Maybe you guys can help. So have a Huawei router with a Rain sim. I get okay speeds 40/50Mbps mostly but my issues is that the router is not so great. First of the WiFi coverage is horrible, I can go from full bars to 1 bar while sitting in the same room, no 5ghz and also no data limiting features.
What affordable router can I get to connect to my LTE router so that the new one handles all the WiFi/Ethernet everyday stuff and my old one just acts as a modem. Preferably under R1K. Not looking for anything fancy.
I've got a Huawei B315 if u interested at R550... Message me if u interested

Jake45

Expert Member
Personally I would also look at one of the Tenda models from Takealot, Geewiz, Loot etc. Search for some online reviews for the models that you are most interested in to make sure that the device will meet your requirements.

Tenda AC10
Tenda AC10U (includes USB port)
Tenda AC8 (Cheaper model - Geewiz currently has open box unit)

Last edited:

Park@82

Honorary Master
I'm also looking to upgrade my router. But I am looking for something that has an openvpn client. So far it seems like the higher end Asus routers are the ones that has that.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
You lost me at "cheap". If you want a decent router be prepared to pay for it. If you go the cheap route you are just going to get crap.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
So turns out I have some credit left in my TAKEALOT account and the routers for my budget are:
Mercusys AC12 AC1200 dual band

Mercusys AC1200 dual band

TP LINK Archer c20 ac750

Asus RT- AC51 AC750

Mercusys AC12G AC1200

Anyone has any personal experience with any of these?

I have the Archer C2, in storage, its a good router, It uses the old UI, nothing wrong with it, it lacked real time bandwidth monitoring (just showed a table with IPs and bytes, was ok but not informative), I dont know how good the wifi is because i bought some high gain antennas same time as the unit but with those high gain antennas, signal was very good.

Ps, looks like the C20 only has 100Meg ethernet ports.

If you do go for TP link, try not to get V1 of the product. Its on the sticker of the box, be sure to check it out.

The reason i went with a Draytek is that im tired of routers getting one or two firmware updates then they go EoL. The draytek should get updates for 5 years.

You lost me at "cheap". If you want a decent router be prepared to pay for it. If you go the cheap route you are just going to get crap.

100% agree.