chery qq3 questions

Draconia2

Expert Member
Hi

Looking for a cheap run around town, I have spark / matiz on my list, actually already have a sale ready for a m150 spark (2004) with AC.

Do the newer manual transmission qq3 still have issues or have they been rectified ? I see a lot of them for sale which makes me very wary as that means it is a problem car (still is)

do the dashboards still crumble in sunlight ?

Draconia2

Expert Member
I believe they are susceptible to rust according to a panel shop that we've been to before.

This is in Cape Town.

Anything else ? electrical or gearbox issues ?

I stay in phalaborwa, which is fairly dry most of the time. The mine does spew its acid clouds though but my Hyundai matrix and 95 rav4 have been just fine. just havent washed in two weeks as the weather has been super wet.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
won't be leaving town so the ncap means 0 to me, I have more chance getting knocked by an elephant.

also why I have the matiz/spark on my list lol
Each to their own. Personally I would go for the Daewoo/Chevy option & avoid the Chinese option at all costs.

Draconia2

Expert Member
Each to their own. Personally I would go for the Daewoo/Chevy option & avoid the Chinese option at all costs.

even the spark feels more refined and solid. Just waiting on feedback when the cambelt was done (no history on that) and ill take it from there.

I can't seem to find any proper reviews other than http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/chery/qq/single-page/
https://www.mycarforum.com/topic/1452779-chery-qq-reviews-only/page-9

which is why I came to ask here.

Last edited:

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Renault Sandero. Well priced and its a decent size compared to those other matchboxes.

Won't win any Nacap awards so let's not go there.

thechamp

Honorary Master
What is the budget for this cheap run around
Renault Sandero. Well priced and its a decent size compared to those other matchboxes.

Won't win any Nacap awards so let's not go there.
I have a feeling OP has a very tight budget to be looking at the Chery, I doubt a Sandero, even the first generation is within the budget.

Draconia2

Expert Member
What is the budget for this cheap run around

I have a feeling OP has a very tight budget to be looking at the Chery, I doubt a Sandero, even the first generation is within the budget.

40-50k

no only match boxes. :p (spark,matiz,qq3,c1,107)

the dorp is super tiny so I don't need a medium-big car, already have hyundai matrix for that. I need something super tiny hence ncap can even be 0.

put it this way, the dorp is so small, by the time a 1 litre engine reaches 60-70kmph the next stop street will be there waiting. (sometimes way earlier)

I did try an electric scooter earlier this week.... 0-60 kmph in few seconds, almost ripped my kidneys out with acceleration.

spares not a problem, I get them from people who supply big brand dealerships.

Last edited:

thechamp

Honorary Master
40-50k

no only match boxes. :p (spark,matiz,qq3,c1,107)

the dorp is super tiny so I don't need a medium-big car, already have hyundai matrix for that. I need something super tiny hence ncap can even be 0.

put it this way, the dorp is so small, by the time a 1 litre engine reaches 60-70kmph the next stop street will be there waiting.

I did try an electric scooter earlier this week.... 0-60 kmph in few seconds, almost ripped my kidneys out with acceleration.

spares not a problem, I get them from people who supply big brand dealerships.
I get you, no point in suggesting anything else then, my only advice is to get the Chery for as cheap as possible, no need to spend anything close to R50k.

Draconia2

Expert Member
I get you, no point in suggesting anything else then, my only advice is to get the Chery for as cheap as possible, no need to spend anything close to R50k.

I have a spark that I might go for in this week (more pew pew), just waiting for some info.

Is there nobody on this forum that has had a qq longer than 2-3 years ?

LOL

I guess it is that bad

morepewpewles.jpg

thechamp

Honorary Master
I have a spark that I might go for in this week (more pew pew), just waiting for some info.

Is there nobody on this forum that has had a qq longer than 2-3 years ?

LOL

I guess it is that bad

View attachment 620844
Not necessarily about it being that bad but more about it's Chinese reputation preceeding it and no one being brave enough to find out if it is really that bad, until now. Good luck.

Draconia2

Expert Member
Not necessarily about it being that bad but more about it's Chinese reputation preceeding it and no one being brave enough to find out if it is really that bad, until now. Good luck.

from what I could gather so far, in vehicles with less than 70k km on most frequently appearing issues are :

most alternator problems
AC problems
hard to shift manuals (changing GB oil seems to fix this somewhat)
Auto triptronic boxes are problematic (leaking selespeed)
ignition problems
Fuel pump
Breaking door handles

*edit
will update as more issues are found between 70-100k km mark.

thechamp

Honorary Master
from what I could gather so far, in vehicles with less than 70k km on most frequently appearing issues are :

most alternator problems
AC problems
hard to shift manuals (changing GB oil seems to fix this somewhat)
Auto triptronic boxes are problematic (leaking selespeed)
ignition problems
Fuel pump
Breaking door handles

*edit
will update as more issues are found between 70-100k km mark.
I am happy that you said spares are not an issue, it is a basic car and there is nothing that's going to baffle you even if there are problems. As long as the engine is still ok and has never been opened, anything external can easily be fixed. Just take your time and look for one in mint condition, pity you are not in Joburg, plenty of them here, some are almost new.

Draconia2

Expert Member
I am happy that you said spares are not an issue, it is a basic car and there is nothing that's going to baffle you even if there are problems. As long as the engine is still ok and has never been opened, anything external can easily be fixed. Just take your time and look for one in mint condition, pity you are not in Joburg, plenty of them here, some are almost new.
that's what worries me.

my matrix has 206k km on the clock, only changed the original rubbers on the shock mounts last year. For a 2006 model, that aint bad at all.

if people are selling their almost new boksies there has to be a quality problem somewhere.

marco79

Expert Member
If I had to choose a cheap run around, I would go for a Chev Spark or a Hyundai i10 or Atos.

You will battle with spares for the qq.

My brother in law had an Aros & Spark as company cars. He abused both and easily put on over 300k+ km before they were sold.

Draconia2

Expert Member
SouthGate Wheels ? I'd rather not thanks. Google reviews speak for themselves.

Sticking with the spark

*bottom i10 has accident damage on left side !!!

Last edited: