Christmas gift for someone you hate: Windows 8

rwenzori

Honorary Master
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
12,360
Reaction score
216
Location
Göbekli Tepe
MIT Professor Philip Greenspun not likee Win 8 and can't understand the (sparse) positive press for this OS:

A reasonable user might respond to this dog’s breakfast of a user interface by trying to stick with either the familiar desktop or the new tablet. However, this is not possible. Some functions, such as “start an application” or “restart the computer” are available only from the tablet interface. Conversely, when one is comfortably ensconced in a touch/tablet application, an additional click will fire up a Web browser, thereby causing the tablet to disappear in favor of the desktop. Many of the “apps” that show up on the “all apps” menu at the bottom of the screen (accessible only if you swipe down from the top of the screen) dump you right into the desktop on the first click.

Given how misguided the whole design of Windows 8 seems to be, why have tech journalists given it basically positive reviews? My theory is that journalists love anything new, different, and complicated. Windows 8 is all of those things.


http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/philg/2012/12/05/christmas-gift-for-someone-you-hate-windows-8/
 
I agree that Win 8 only got good reviews because it is something new.

As I desktop OS I dislike it... as a tablet OS it might be okay
 
I agree with the Profs sentiments. While I really disliked Unity on Ubuntu, and generally still do, it is a decidedly better and well-rounded interface for interaction with both types of control systems (touch/gesture and point 'n click).
 
The dual interface is a bit weird. They should have tossed the desktop. Otherwise though the OS is full of positives, hence the good reviews.
 
The dual interface is a bit weird. They should have tossed the desktop. Otherwise though the OS is full of positives, hence the good reviews.

Yup, I have no issues with Windows 8.
 
The dual interface is a bit weird. They should have tossed the desktop. Otherwise though the OS is full of positives, hence the good reviews.

And rename it to Window, instead of erm Windows?

ModernUI does not allow for 2 full function applications to run side by side, even worse on lower ress screens ModernUI apps do not even allow for the side screen, and below 1366x768 good luck in opening some apps at all. Now thats not so modern, is it?
 
I rather like it and actually started using Windows again, but for me it just feels like a layer on top of Windows7 and not a new OS.

I use so many different GUI`s, some bad, some good. This one is pretty benign. Doesnt impact my life or usage so I dont care about it.
 
rawr, chaaaaange, chaaaange baaaaaad, raawr, i maaaaad, hulk gonna smaaaaash
 
Most egregious 'modern UI' sins for me:
1) No right-click - this article nailed it. What the heck MS?
2) No clear 'escape from app' option - pressing ESC does nothing. Pressing back button is inconsistent
3) Total disjuntion between non-windowed and windowed apps especially in cases where you'd actually prefer to window it and do work alongside - Skype I'm looking at you
4) Multitask bar on left side - what magic sauce Diablo spellcasting mouse gesture am I meant to be using to get this thing to appear consistently and not as it does now at arbitrary and mostly unasked-for moments?
5) 'Snapping' apps - just make it crystal clear what's going to happen when I let go of the hand please
 
And now is the time that you can buy a cheap "full" version from Groupon again. Is it just me or are they selling it the same way as before - i.e. it's not a full version, but just an upgrade...
 
I don't think much of the modern UI. At first it was fun, but now I use Start8 to run Windows 8 like Windows 7.
 
I realized the only thing I ever use the metro interface for is to click the desktop button.
I will probably just pop Start8 on my pc and have the "Windows 7" experience which I enjoy.
 
I like it on office computers as what you use most often is right there. If I am out, someone else can come in and see what I am doing right away
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X