Chrome/Chromium and its Child Processes??

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Simple question...

Upon booting up Chromium I noticed that just to keep the program idle, it will use about 200MB of RAM.
When I start using the browser I noticed that Chrome/Chromium spawns off a bunch of processes which use small amounts of RAM - can be as much as 10 small processes using less than 10MB of ram per process while the main/parent instance of Chrome/Chromium will use a little more ram, but it is relatively unchanged

*These figures are just for example purposes*

How was Chrome/Chromium built?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Been that way since it came out in 2008. You've been living in a cave and just came out?

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Been that way since it came out in 2008. You've been living in a cave and just came out?
Never really used anything other than Mozilla, only really adopted Chrome because I needed it at work and it has nice dev tools. Figured that between Chrome and VSCode one of them is responsible for high RAM usage

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Every process engine addon and page has 1 or more processes
And you can view this info in Chrome's builtin task manager

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Its a safety net, if one tab stops responding it doesnt break the whole of chrome, also your extensions might uses its own process too.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Chrome is a resource hog...and costing my clients money.

Have had to do huge amounts of RAM upgrades, where possible, where clients use Chrome, especially for web based, business critical applications.

Urist

Expert Member
Maybe it's because every benchmark about the "best browser" Looks at how fast it loads websites?

Grouter

Expert Member
If Chrome is using all your RAM, you need more RAM. It's not rocket science.

phly

Expert Member
That's why it's so fast.
Have you tried Brave Browser? https://brave.com/

I switched to it about a year or so ago and have never looked back. Very light on resources, faster than chrome. Built in adblock so need for adblock plus and it is based on chromium so you can still install all the chrome extensions you like. And also it looks just as chrome does so no learning curve. The switch was a no brainer and my laptop thanks me everyday for it.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Have you tried Brave Browser? https://brave.com/

I switched to it about a year or so ago and have never looked back. Very light on resources, faster than chrome. Built in adblock so need for adblock plus and it is based on chromium so you can still install all the chrome extensions you like. And also it looks just as chrome does so no learning curve. The switch was a no brainer and my laptop thanks me everyday for it.
I haven't as yet, but thanks for the suggestion :)