Chrome for iOS launched

MongooseMan

Expert Member
So Chrome is now available for download in the App Store.

Thoughts?

Since I use Chrome sync, this fits quite nicely into my workflow. Anything I bookmark on my computer is automatically added to my bookmarks on my iPad. Same with saved passwords.

Overall I'm quite stoked with it, barring a few minor annoyances. This could become my "default" iPad browser.

B.K

Just installed chrome - posting this from it - seems to be okay so far, I like the incognito tabs, the synced stuff is also very useful.

Will see how it goes

EDIT: just noticed that chrome has a dictation option as well, open new tab, touch the mic and say something and it searches. Seem accurate as well

Last edited:

The_Unnamed

WUD FTW
Just installed chrome - posting this from it - seems to be okay so far, I like the incognito tabs, the synced stuff is also very useful.

Will see how it goes

I see what you did there :D.

I just like it for the Syncing.

rajharie

So Chrome is now available for download in the App Store.

Thoughts?

Since I use Chrome sync, this fits quite nicely into my workflow. Anything I bookmark on my computer is automatically added to my bookmarks on my iPad. Same with saved passwords.

Overall I'm quite stoked with it, barring a few minor annoyances. This could become my "default" iPad browser.

Downloaded it last night and had a play around. I like the history and the the ability to access a site that I had open on my laptop and all of the stuff that is sync'ed.
Only drawback is that you cannot force any links to open in Chrome instead of Safari.

Submolecule

Amazing browser experience, blows safari out of the water.

Voice dictation = AMAZING
Syncing between devices = AMAZING

Hardcore apple fans wont be using this seeing as its from google inc but honestly you will not be disappointed.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I like this!

The iPad gets better!

I wish Apple would let us delete the Safari logo though

Edit : hidden ... Now I'm happy!

Last edited:

unskinnybob

Expert Member
Awesomesauce!!!

Thanks Google!! Safari sucks. Was hopping between Dolphin (which is ok, but opens spme sites mobile) and Mercury (with awesome compatibility but crashes often).

Chrome completes my happy little IOS ecosystem!

Madhawk

Honorary Master
Been using Chrome for the last two days and I am very happy with it.

Deleted Google search app, no need for it anymore.

clasqm

OK, I've downloaded it to take a look, but could someone explain to me what the big deal is here?

On my Mac I always have an alternative browser around, on the basis that if a site doesn't work well in Webkit, it might display well in Gecko or vice versa: for my job, f'r example, I use several sites that use weird TTF fonts that Gecko browsers handle more gracefully than Webkit.

But this strikes me as being just like Dolphin: an alternative skin around Webkit. The actual site you're looking at doesn't look different ...

So, could people be a little bit more specific rather than just going "Oh WOW"?

Someone mentioned syncing bookmarks. Yes, and Safari syncs bookmarks over iCloud. How is this better?

Synced passwords sounds like a security risk to me, but OK I can see a point there.

Voice dictation - please tell us more. How does it actually work for you? For the record, I'm getting a lot of "Connection to speech servers failed" but that could just be my crappy connection, so we won't blame it on the browser. When it works, yes, I get it, whatever I say gets passed on as a google search. Is that it? Or am I missing something here? It takes so long to send my speech to google and decode that I could have typed it out five times.

No, I'm not trolling here. I'm trying hard to see the advantage here and I'm not seeing it. If you were already sold on Chrome on another platform, then yes, OK, it gives you interoperability. No problem.

But if you are a non-Chrome user on Mac/PC, is there any reason to keep it around on the iPad? Convince me.

RandomGRK

Expert Member
I'm actually disappointed with it. My browsing is noticeably slower with chrome. I did tests between the two and Safari kept coming out tops. Also, changing tabs with chrome seems slow and clunky.

Deleted...this is with the iPad 3.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I'm actually disappointed with it. My browsing is noticeably slower with chrome. I did tests between the two and Safari kept coming out tops. Also, changing tabs with chrome seems slow and clunky.

Deleted...this is with the iPad 3.

Changing tabs for me is faster, since I just have to tap on the side of the screen to go to the next one.

And no Youtube integration means it's all WIN for me :)

lexor

Expert Member
Only drawback is that you cannot force any links to open in Chrome instead of Safari.
If your iPad is jailbroken you can download "browser changer" from Cydia(free) .
This allows you to choose another browser instead of Safari.
No support for Chrome yet.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
If your iPad is jailbroken you can download "browser changer" from Cydia(free) .
This allows you to choose another browser instead of Safari.
No support for Chrome yet.

It really sucks that you have to jailbreak your iPad to make (read "try make") it work the way you want it to