Clean install of Windows 8

Basilrsa

Senior Member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
523
Reaction score
0
Location
Boksburg
I have a Dell Studio XPS 1640 running Windows 7 Pro. (Just reinstalled from the recovery disk)
A week ago I upgraded to Windows 8 and experienced driver and hardware issues. (Bluetooth was not recognised at all). Dell Support got that going for me, but once I had downloaded Media Player problems again occurred.
I did a complete HD Format and wiped out the partitions as well. Windows 8 was loaded from the disk I had created and the installation went well up to the point where I got a message that that I needed to upgrade from a Windows system and one could not be found.
I am really a noob when it comes to these things and I have read about "clean installs". What is this and how different is it to what different to what I did above?
I would like to give Windows 8 one more try seeing as though I have legally bought it and have a key for Media Player as well.
The Dell XPS is about 3 years old and plays Blue Ray on a full HD screen. So the product was not too shabby in its day. (My later Mac's can't even do this)
Thanks guys, i have learnt an lot just following these forums.
 
Have a look a this tutorial. I bookmarked the page where you went wrong, you should choose "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)" and then follow the tutorial from there on.

Thanks a ton for pointing me in the right direction. When I feel up to all the schlep I will give it another go. It's just that my XPS is operating so well on the reloaded XP Professional software. ( All the update were done as well)
Thank you
 
My two cents worth: although it can be time consuming, definitely give it another go when you've got some to spare. I got a "clean install" working on a dual boot Mac by following a similar online tutorial. It's definitely a bit of a mind-warp trying to use the unfamiliar interface of Windows 8, but by many accounts it's awesome once you get your head around it. I'm hoping, at least on this score, to try and keep up with the ever changing techno landscape.
 
Thanks a ton for pointing me in the right direction. When I feel up to all the schlep I will give it another go. It's just that my XPS is operating so well on the reloaded XP Professional software. ( All the update were done as well)
Thank you

My Dell Latitude D830 started of with Vista, then to Windows 7 and now Windows 8. I noticed that the CPU usage is much less on Win 8 causing less fan noise. Obviously booting is very fast and programs also load faster. Had the same experience upgrading a Lenovo and HP that still had Vista on. Now for a SSD :D
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X