Cloud Backup for Server

Ice2Cool

Expert Member
Hey guys

Require some assistance please. We have a server at work which we backup with veeam daily to portable hard drives. In addition to this I would like to implement a cloud backup solution. Our backup volume isn't amazingly large - probably 300GB or so. The daily change is also not big. What is the best solution that is not going to break the bank. I see there is back blaze. I am trying got cover myself for multiple situations : complete loss of server (theft, failure), ransomware etc. Obviously my backup drives are my first go to, but I am looking for a cloud based solution to fall onto if for some reason the hard drives don't work. Were running Windows Server 2016.

Thanks

Speedster

Honorary Master
Hey guys

Require some assistance please. We have a server at work which we backup with veeam daily to portable hard drives. In addition to this I would like to implement a cloud backup solution. Our backup volume isn't amazingly large - probably 300GB or so. The daily change is also not big. What is the best solution that is not going to break the bank. I see there is back blaze. I am trying got cover myself for multiple situations : complete loss of server (theft, failure), ransomware etc. Obviously my backup drives are my first go to, but I am looking for a cloud based solution to fall onto if for some reason the hard drives don't work. Were running Windows Server 2016.

Thanks
OneDrive and/ or Google drive is potentially the easiest (and cheapest) solution

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Dropbox Business gives unlimited storage with 3 users @ about R300 per month. It seems to be overlooked by many people.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Dropbox Business gives unlimited storage with 3 users @ about R300 per month. It seems to be overlooked by many people.
For R190 you can get 5Tb. R1350 per year cheaper if you don't need that much. Cheaper than the individual 3Tb solution BTW with more users.

Speedster

Honorary Master
For R190 you can get 5Tb. R1350 per year cheaper if you don't need that much. Cheaper than the individual 3Tb solution BTW with more users.
If you have an office subscription that includes 6x1TB storage for about R800 per year.

Ice2Cool

Expert Member
Guys is this something that would run automatically. Please consider its a production server - so it houses my exchange, sql, virtual machines, user documents, etc. I think I would need something one level up from just a dropbox or google drive to allow for incremental backups and restore points.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Price includes 3 users for the Business. Then same price for every user thereafter.
Which provider?
It seems like it comes down to specific needs then. I have trust in Dropbox because I know their encryption technology is not just standard like many others are.

gfmalan

Expert Member
Guys is this something that would run automatically. Please consider its a production server - so it houses my exchange, sql, virtual machines, user documents, etc. I think I would need something one level up from just a dropbox or google drive to allow for incremental backups and restore points.
Why not use Acronis?

Chingha

Expert Member
I make it 12.50 dollars per month with a minimum of 3 users so 37.50 dollars or about R560 per month.
That is with an anual payment.

15 dollars monthly

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I make it 12.50 dollars per month with a minimum of 3 users so 37.50 dollars or about R560 per month.
That is with an anual payment.

15 dollars monthly
I don't quite understand your message?
What do you mean you make it?
Edit: removed the idrive references. It's priced high IMHO.

Last edited:

WAslayer

Expert Member
Since you are using veaam, it should have veaam cloud tier if on a supported version and would allow you to use AWS S3 as a repository to backup into the cloud..

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Paid Veeam can backup to cloud.
Arcseve UDP supports a good range of backup use cases (physical/virtual, Windows/Linux. SQL, AD, Exchange Aware)
Azure Backup/backup server (Not as good as some offerings but better than swapping hard drives and relatively cost effective)
Redstor
Solarwinds

For servers, I prefer block level images either of the physical machine or the host and can do a proper bare metal recovery without messing around with the Specific Installation media. You want something Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V and presumably AD aware. On SQL Servers, I also run a separate SQL backup scheme with a daily full backup and (on high transacting DBs) transaction log backups every 20-30 minutes for point in time recovery.

With Veeam, you might also consider backing up to a Synology/QNAP Nas (or similar) and backing up from the NAS to Azure or AWS storage.