C'mon TopTV

mici

Okay so after a total of more than 2hours of phone calls, I got through to TopTV, got it installed and activated and my excitement levels through the roof! But....

Now that I finally have TopTV, I'm a bit disappointed. The only channels that seems to have the correct info on the schedule is the channels that start with “top”, SABC, E-TV and Discovery (Both of them). There’s NO new content, only old stuff. Which is cool but we need new programs like Grey’s and desperate housewives... Another thing, TopTV has no PVR, why on earth would they block recording programs?? I’ve got a HDD recorder, useless with TopTV!

On the good side, the music channels are awesome! Love that you can access the music bouquets is on the same bouquet as the video, no need to switch through bouquets. The user interface is very cool and it’s quite nice to still see the video while browsing the menu and TV guide.

Overall, I like TopTV, but think it will take some time for them to add proper content. So will keep DSTV and TopTV until TopTV improves.

tsume

The Pervy Sage
Another thing, TopTV has no PVR, why on earth would they block recording programs?? I’ve got a HDD recorder, useless with TopTV!

The USB port in the back will be enabled by the end of the year, so you can record via that. (I think someone needs to sticky a FAQ with all the questions which seem to get asked over and over again). As for blocking of recordings I believe dstv is also implementing this.

As for the guide you might want to rely on this for now, until the guide is 100%:
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?229169-Links-to-Toptv-International-Channel-Websites

Last edited:

tsume

The Pervy Sage
This I heard, but they could've waited till then to activate Macrovision.....

It might have been a issue of channel/studio providers more willing to broadcast if they had Macrovision.
But that is just my thought *Kanye West shrug*.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Now that I finally have TopTV, I'm a bit disappointed. The only channels that seems to have the correct info on the schedule is the channels that start with “top”, SABC, E-TV and Discovery (Both of them). There’s NO new content, only old stuff. Which is cool but we need new programs like Grey’s and desperate housewives... Another thing, TopTV has no PVR, why on earth would they block recording programs?? I’ve got a HDD recorder, useless with TopTV!
Are they even applying it to the free channels?