.co.za Domain, How to setup MX records

wikus

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
822
Reaction score
0
I want to regsiter a .co.za domain and point it's nameservers to a GoDaddy hosting account.

How am I supposed to set up MX records on my .co.za domain then? :confused:
 
Did they not supply you with name servers to use? The name servers need to be setup with the MX records pointing at your server.
 
An MX record is a DNS setting and is totally separate from the domain. What you need to do is specify the NS's to point at Go Daddy and log into Go Daddy and find the DNS manager and then set up your MX records there.
 
Did they not supply you with name servers to use? The name servers need to be setup with the MX records pointing at your server.

Yes, I will use their nameservers with their hosting.

What I want to know is where I can set up my MX records once my .co.za domain's nameservers is pointing to GoDaddy
 
They should already be setup by Godaddy, assuming you want your mail to be handled by them. When you send the update to Uniforum you need to supply them with nameservers, those nameservers should be supplied by GoDaddy, the MX records should already be setup on their nameservers. Alternatively, your GoDaddy control panel should have some kinda DNS manager.
 
An MX record is a DNS setting and is totally separate from the domain. What you need to do is specify the NS's to point at Go Daddy and log into Go Daddy and find the DNS manager and then set up your MX records there.

How should I do this?
My domain doesn't appear under the list of domains, since it wasn't registered with GoDaddy and I can't transfer it to GoDaddy since it's a .co.za domain
 
I use Google Apps as I've become used to having all my mail in one place. Need to specify custom MX records
 
Shoudl I use Off-Site DNS? As there is an option in their control panel
 
Has the GoDaddy hosting account been set up for the domain name you wish to register? I haven't used GoDaddy's control panel for their web hosting, but there should be a DNS section where you can change the necessary MX records present in their hosting panel. If it isn't then just contact their support and ask where it is or for them to do it for you.
 
or register at zoneedit

add your account to your zone with the following in the bulk entry box

DOMAINNAMEHERE,IPOFYOURSERVERHERE,MX||smtp.secureserver.net,CNAME|e|email.secureserver.net,CNAME|email|email.secureserver.net,CNAME|mail|pop.secureserver.net,CNAME|pop|pop.secureserver.net,CNAME|smtp|smtp.secureserver.net,CNAME|webmail|webemail.secureserver.net

Then go to your zone and remove the email forwarding
once done, this is setup to use godaddy. You can then delete or chaneg the settings as you wish
zoneedit allows 5 free zones
 
Thanks for the suggestions.

As usual, everything is very simple with GoDaddy.
Added my site for off-site DNS and registered it an hour later with co.za Admin accepting the registration.

I see they also automatically allow you to change DNS records for any domain that points to their nameserver, very nice.
 
Thanks for the suggestions.

As usual, everything is very simple with GoDaddy.
Added my site for off-site DNS and registered it an hour later with co.za Admin accepting the registration.

I see they also automatically allow you to change DNS records for any domain that points to their nameserver, very nice.

They are normally pretty good and fairly simple. I +1 the Google apps, it is the best email you can get, the only better solution is GA premium but you need to pay a bit for that.
 
I know this is off topic, but has anyone noticed that the co.za Domain Administration web site is down and has been for this whole weekend?
 
I know this is off topic, but has anyone noticed that the co.za Domain Administration web site is down and has been for this whole weekend?

YES!!! It has really annoyed me beyond believe!
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X