Compromised Voip phone

philaniH

Hi guys

Looks like my voip phone got compromised. How does one deal with a prepaid account owing -10 000 all of a sudden just because the billing works after the call is dropped. Is this how on all voip providers?

Thanks

Any VoIP provider with even a remotely respectable billing system will have heartbeat checks for balance on pre-paid calls.

It is pretty normal in the industry to delay charging calls until they are done (or even later) on post-paid accounts for scalability reasons but post processing for pre-paid accounts is just ludicrous.

Hi PhilaniH,

In Agreement with Bigx333, any voip provider should have a maximum balance / prepaid limit assigned for each client. In fact, this is mandatory for the majority of systems and generally defaulted to a maximum of R 5000.

I would recommend requesting a detailed call report, with a copy of the agreement signed with the service provider. If the call amount genuinely amounts to R 10 000, I would recommend disputing the invoice, and demanding a significant discount, as your billing was allowed to rise way beyond reasonable usage due to the voip provider's neglect in setting billing thresholds.

I know of a large South African ISP who recently billed a particular client R 135 000 for out of bundle roaming data usage, but the amount was reduced to R 14 000 after he disputed it, claiming negligence by the ISP for allowing his bill to raise so high without warning or notification.

Good luck!!

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Hi guys

Looks like my voip phone got compromised. How does one deal with a prepaid account owing -10 000 all of a sudden just because the billing works after the call is dropped. Is this how on all voip providers?

Thanks
No just yours...you obviously have a kuk VOIP provider.

You need to go post paid with a cap.