Computer turns on then just Dies

flashfire208

Hi , i was wondering if someone could give me some advice, i was recently cleaning out my comp (blowing out dust with a fan) , i also removed the CPU cooler , blew on it and placed it back (its a standard intel ). I turned it on and now it starts , runs even loads windows login screen and after around 25 secs dies :( . But the green light on the front of the comp stays on (i think its the Mobo power light). Then i cant turn it on or restart , i have unplug it wait for Mobo capacitors to discharge then it will on turn on .:confused:

UPDATE

Good news , applied thermal paste and now it all works just fine , THANKS to everyone who helped

Last edited:

bekdik

Honorary Master
Sounds like it's overheating. Check the cooler installation.

You did put on new thermal grease, didn't you?

flashfire208

I doubt its overheating , i turned on all 5 fans and left the side panel off to check , but thanks for replying

Sting

Ghost in the Machine
The fans probably get their power directly from the PSU hence bypassing the Mobo. Did you clean off all the old CPU cooler paste (thermal grease) and apply a fresh layer before you clipped on the CPU cooler?

Mypro-D

Expert Member
I just got my pc back and they took off all my thermal paste. I never had anymore and just put it on without any. 38 Degrees and 51 under full load...

flashfire208

There wasnt any thermal grease , well at least that i could see (i didnt fit the cpu cooler) so i figured its worked till now so i didnt apply it

PokerKing

Expert Member
hmmm.... could it be possible that you 'bumped' a cable while cleaning? check you hdd is connected securely..

flashfire208

Wow thanks 2 everyone for being so helpfull !! I did check all the cables and pushed them all in , would incredible ripoff have thermal paste ?? (ill try the thermal paste tm , but the computer worked without it before ..)

CrzWaco

Expert Member
Clearly overheating get some thermal paste. R30-R150

Just tell me go into your bios check you cpu(health) warning settings.

Last edited:

flashfire208

Will report back tm once iv put on some paste , i would check the bios but it doesnt get that far

DJ...

Banned
Will report back tm once iv put on some paste , i would check the bios but it doesnt get that far
As per your OP, if you can get to the Windows login screen then you can certainly get into the BIOS. I had this same problem some time back and it was my CPU overheating. Thermal paste solved the problem...

Dolby

Honorary Master
My thermal paste was R27.00 for a lil tube.

May be crappy, but it does work