Configuring a DLINK 2750U as an access point

freedom123

I recently got Telkom FTTH. They installed a new router and have my old Dlink 2750U spare.
I want to extend my WIFI coverage by using the old router as an access point.
Has anybody please got a set of instructions to do this.

RuhanSA079

I recently got Telkom FTTH. They installed a new router and have my old Dlink 2750U spare.
I want to extend my WIFI coverage by using the old router as an access point.
Has anybody please got a set of instructions to do this.
Do you intend to connect the old router(access point) to the new one FTTH router via LAN cable?

RuhanSA079

Do you intend to connect the old router(access point) to the new one FTTH router via LAN cable?
If so, then leave your old router just aside for now, and connect your computer to the new router, and open the Network and Sharing Center by going to your Windows OS desktop, on the bottom right, there should be a icon with a little computer with cable in the front.. Right click it, and click on "Open Network and Sharing Center",

You should now see a window that says "View your active network", with a connection type, whether WiFi or Wired, click on the blue text(link).
It should open a window that is the status of your connection type to your router. Click details.

Write down the IPv4 gateway, subnet mask, DHCP server, DNS server IP addresses. You will need that for later.

Now, power up your old router and reset it. There should be a reset hole/button at the back of it. Press the reset button until all the indicator lights of the router lights up, and let go of the button. The lights should go off, after a few seconds...

Unplug your FTTH router from your computer, and plug in the old router to your computer via LAN cable, I assume you have a LAN cable for that?

Open a new tab of your preferred browser, and type in the IP address located on the bottom of the old router. It should take you to the webfig. Login with the default credentials...

Set up your wireless, like the name and password, etc.
If you need to apply and reboot, do it, and login again.

Go click on Advanced tab at the top, find the DHCP settings link. Every router differ.

Then, after you found the DHCP settings page, disable the DHCP server. No apply and reboot yet.
There should be a option to set the Remote DHCP Server. Enable it, and type in the DHCP server IP you wrote down. Then go the Router IP boxes, located at the top, ish, type in the subnet mask first, usually 255.255.255.0

Your FTTH router have a IP, something like 192.168.X.X the first X is important. Type in at the Router IP box the prefix, which is 192.168.X then, choose another number between 1 and 253. Usually the router have the 192.168.X.1 as default IP, just use another number, like 2. Type in the last number you chose, usually 2. It should look like 192.168.1.2 for example. Don't forget the dots.

Check if the DHCP server IP is correct, along with the Router ip, to login later to.
Apply and reboot.

After it rebooted, power it off. Plug your old router into the FTTH router, via any LAN port. Connect your computer again to the FTTH router.

Try to connect with your phone to the old router. It should connect, and should provide you with internet.

You can now move the router to a place where it can extend the wireless network.

Give a holler if you get stuck, or have a problem.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
I have a simpler guide.

In the new router change the DHCP pool minimum IP to one more, so instead of starting at X. X. X. 3 have it start at X. X. X. 4

On the old router, change the router mode to wireless AP.

Duplicate the wireless settings of the old router (security mode, SSID and password) to be same as the new router.

Give the old router the static IP of X. X. X. 3. Save and reboot.

I have that modem/router and that's how I usually do it and it hands over the connection seamlessly if you're too far from the other router

freedom123

Thanks everybody. Had some issues because the interface of my router is not the same as the one you were describing.
Sorted it out through hours of experimenting. This one does not have a remote DHCP server setting I could find.
When I got the DNS server right, it worked!

freedom123

Morning All
That D-Link DSL 2750U as an Access Point is working like a dream.
My Telkom FTTH link is giving me 94 Mbits via direct LAN link to the main D-Link G225 router and only 30 Mbits on wifi.
Wifi on the 2750U as AP, linked to main router by LAN cable, gives me 88-90 Mbits.
Awesome!

!

Last edited:

RuhanSA079

Morning All
My Telkom FTTH link is giving me 94 Mbits via direct LAN link to the main D-Link G225 router and only 30 Mbits on wifi.
Wifi on the 2750U as AP, linked to main router by LAN cable, gives me 88-90 Mbits.
Awesome!

!
I'm glad that you got it sorted.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
I have a simpler guide.

In the new router change the DHCP pool minimum IP to one more, so instead of starting at X. X. X. 3 have it start at X. X. X. 4

On the old router, change the router mode to wireless AP.

Duplicate the wireless settings of the old router (security mode, SSID and password) to be same as the new router.

Give the old router the static IP of X. X. X. 3. Save and reboot.

I have that modem/router and that's how I usually do it and it hands over the connection seamlessly if you're too far from the other router
Just a FYI, there is NO seamless handover in this setup. Your client will disconnect from one Wifi AP then re-connect to the closer one, not seamless handover... but works ok 99% of the time.

Dupz88

Thanks everybody. Had some issues because the interface of my router is not the same as the one you were describing.
Sorted it out through hours of experimenting. This one does not have a remote DHCP server setting I could find.
When I got the DNS server right, it worked!
Hi I know this post is a little old. Can you explain a little.. Did you disable the DHCP Server in LAN settings and set "Configure the second IP Address and Subnet Mask for LAN interface"?

Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks ☺

Thepax

You can install OpenWRT on the 2750U H/W:T1 version which is the most popular in South Africa. It opens up a new world of possibilities on the unit.

sabri

Hi, sorry to ask but would you be able to please give me a detailed step by step to follow as i would also like to do that with my same old router? Please ...

sabri

Morning All
Awesome!

Hi, sorry to ask but would you be able to please give me a detailed step by step to follow as i would also like to do that with my same old router? Please ...

!

Anonimiss

You can install OpenWRT on the 2750U H/W:T1 version which is the most popular in South Africa. It opens up a new world of possibilities on the unit.
Hi Thepax, would it be possible to post a link where I can find the software for the 2750U? OpenWRT’s website only has software for the 2750B (Australia model... I think..). Or do I just use the software for the 2750B?
Thanks g

Drake2007

Expert Member
Hi Thepax, would it be possible to post a link where I can find the software for the 2750U? OpenWRT’s website only has software for the 2750B (Australia model... I think..). Or do I just use the software for the 2750B?
Thanks g
If it's not listed then it's not supported. Don't waste your time bricking your router.