Configuring NUT on Debian Wheezy

slvR

Expert Member
Hello all,

I've been trying to configure the infamously difficult to setup NUT (Network UPS Tools) on my RCT unit. It's compatible, as I got as far as to get an output from the UPS showing load, battery left and even managed to shut off the beeper.

I've tried 7 guides, some written as far back as 2005 and none of them seem to contain enough information to get what I'd like to achieve.

Running:
  • Proxmox 3.4 on Debian 7.7
  • RCT 2000VA UPS
  • NUT 2.7.3 with the blazer_usb driver

What i'd like to achieve:
  • NUT starts on boot
  • NUT will shut down the host when power is off for 300 seconds (5 minutes)
  • NUT disables the beeper on boot

If possible:
  • Have NUT email me when power is lost and when it's back

Problems I'm facing:
  • Getting NUT to start on boot (init.d script isn't present)
  • Getting NUT to shutdown after 300 seconds of powerloss.
  • NUT service is not recognised.
  • I think I botched up the initial config and a --purge and reinstall keeps the config.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

slvR

Expert Member
Almost got it working, just can't get the driver to start on boot. Have to manually run
upsdrvctl start
every time I start the box up.

Anyone got any ideas? Might be my USB device getting initialised too late during boot.

slvR

Expert Member
Think I got it working, will let the battery charge overnight and I'll initiate a simulated power loss tomorrow when no one is using the box and see how it performs and might do a quick guide depending on the outcome.

Spamez

Hi. I'm trying to set up my UPS (also RCT 2000VAS) on my NAS running a debian based OS, I installed the software, but don't know how to set up the configuration properly. The software on my NAS points me to this guide, but I am out of my depth here.

1) Does the UPS name in brackets on top have to be something specific or can I make it whatever?
2) Can this be setup to work with USB only? (I don't have spare network port nearby for it)
3) Is there any specific configuration required to set it up via USB?

Last edited: