Connecting Router kills all connections

Deon6

So I have a cheapy TP Link router (TD-W8961N) works fine.

Now I got a TP Link AC1750 router, and as soon as i plug my ADSL into it (in place of the cheapy) my internet and phone line goes down? On the web browser it says no wan connected, and the internet LED doesn't light up...

Any ideas?

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Check the cable you are using. Connected to the correct port? Configured for ADSL?

Deon6

I repl
Check the cable you are using. Connected to the correct port? Configured for ADSL?
Yes, it's in the "internet" port, other 4 ports are ethernet. Though what is confusing me a lil is the internet port can fit both RJ11 and RJ45 plugs... mine is RJ11.

access

Executive Member
the one is a modem for adsl + router.

the other is just a router.

you need a modem for your adsl and you need to configure the new one with your adsl details.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
I repl

Yes, it's in the "internet" port, other 4 ports are ethernet. Though what is confusing me a lil is the internet port can fit both RJ11 and RJ45 plugs... mine is RJ11.
What's the model number if your new router?

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
So I have a cheapy TP Link router (TD-W8961N) works fine.

Now I got a TP Link AC1750 router, and as soon as i plug my ADSL into it (in place of the cheapy) my internet and phone line goes down? On the web browser it says no wan connected, and the internet LED doesn't light up...

Any ideas?
Have you configured the username and password on it? Input the DSL details for your account?

Deon6

Had a bad feeling when I got it that I bought the wrong thing... thanks gents! Will go swap it out