Connecting to ISP's PPPoE server without Telkom ADSL line

Lope

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2007
Messages
478
Reaction score
8
There don't seem to be many VPN services in South Africa...
I'd like to be able to browse the internet every day from a different South African IP in order to maintain privacy.

Using a Telkom ADSL line, each day I connect to the internet I get a different IP, which is great.
But on my new internet connection, where I've done away with Telkom and ADSL, I have a static IP.

I'm wondering if there is a way I can connect to South African ISP's PPPoE servers from the internet, instead of from an ADSL line. Establish a PPPoE connection, and get a different South African IP each day.

The technology to do all this is rather trivial. I just need to tunnel layer 2 traffic over IPv4 or IPv6 to the ISP. But the thing is, there probably aren't any South African ISPs making their PPPoE servers available for VPN connections?

One idea I had is that, there are some ISPs who offer ADSL accounts and also offer VPS's. It's *possible* though fairly unlikely that their PPPoE servers would be accessible from their VPS's :)
 
Last edited:
You do know that the different IP's you were getting when you were on ADSL mean absolutely nothing... Still childs play to track
 
Which ISP?

Any ISP would be fine.

others said:
(speculations)

It's better not to make assumptions. Privacy is not only desired by criminals.
If you'd like to learn more about privacy and go beyond your current imagination of it's scope and applications, you could watch the citizenfour documentary, or read about EFF, privacy badger, adblocker plus, SOPA, PIPA, PRISM, and newer programmes.

Even aside from the desire to have intellectual freedom online, without feeling like you're constantly being tracked, which would be nice, though fairly difficult to achieve, (though there are probably degrees of freedom in this regard) there are various industries that require some level of anonymity, not because the person browsing is doing something wrong, but the opposite.
 
Well using a different PPPoE account to a normal ISP isn't going to offer you any more privacy so the whole idea is pointless.

You want to VPN preferably out of the country to a host that is known not to divulge it's client's information and in the process to hide it from your ISP.

PPPoE isn't secure and doesn't encrypt the traffic in any way. Thus no privacy gained.
 
Well using a different PPPoE account to a normal ISP isn't going to offer you any more privacy so the whole idea is pointless.

You want to VPN preferably out of the country to a host that is known not to divulge it's client's information and in the process to hide it from your ISP.

PPPoE isn't secure and doesn't encrypt the traffic in any way. Thus no privacy gained.

In this particular instance I don't need privacy in transit just the destination, and I need South African IP's. There is no sensitive information being transferred and the ISP's can track and log all they want.
 
Last edited:
In this particular instance I don't need privacy in transit just the destination, and I need South African IP's. There is no sensitive information being transferred and the ISP's can track and log all they want.

:confused:
So then why do you want to bypass the ADSL line?

What I think the OP wants, is something akin to Diginet
 
1st, the ISPs dont run the PPPoE servers. Thats all Telkom equipment.
2nd, there are far easier ways to get different ips all the time, but you won't get it from SA.

Probably better to just use something like TOR ect. VPS wont help you either to get different IP every day.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X