Contract or prepaid?

Wysjoumuis

Im on mtn prepaid, i use R60 worth of data a week some times R90. I was thinking of getting a contract for around R300-R400 but it looks like the phones come with only 350mb, is that per week or per month? Well it doesnt matter it will be too little.

What do you guys think? Is it just better to stay on prepaid?

Marcell1992

You just need to get a package that fits your needs. I'm sure that 350mb comes with unwanted sms's and minutes. If you want to stay loyal to MTN, then phone their customer service and see if they can get you a customized package for your needs. That is what Vodacom did for me.

KamoGel0

If you use a dual sim phone or have a MiFi router laying around I would advice going with rains R250 uncapped deal, but if coverage is an issue than Marcell1992's suggestion might be worth following up on.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Im on mtn prepaid, i use R60 worth of data a week some times R90. I was thinking of getting a contract for around R300-R400 but it looks like the phones come with only 350mb, is that per week or per month? Well it doesnt matter it will be too little.

If you are using R60 of data a week how much data is that actually?

Are you making use of the the MTN double data promo? You could save quite a bit there. Have you considered using Afrihost apn instead of using MTN directly. Data is pretty well priced with them especially when you add the Afrihost plus+ addon to double your data

marioat1

Expert Member

At that projected budget, look at the below option, albeit a p8lite

JayN

If on MTN prepaid and you only need data, the activate the SIM with Afrihost. Cheaper month to month option.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Just put my son on Afrihost. 1Gb data and 40 minutes for R109pm month to month. At 99c per minute it's not bad. Mostly need it for Telegram.

They also have voice and data prepaid that last 365 days.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Contracts these days seem to be for people who want a phone they can't really afford. Personally I prefer to buy my phones cash and stick to prepaid. I know a lot of people who have moved over to prepaid from contracts and are saving a fortune every month.

STORMERSFAN

Contracts these days seem to be for people who want a phone they can't really afford. Personally I prefer to buy my phones cash and stick to prepaid. I know a lot of people who have moved over to prepaid from contracts and are saving a fortune every month.
Nah I disagree.. I was on prepaid years ago and hated it.. If I wanna phone then I wanna phone.. No topping up and nonsense like that.. My contract is R299 pm for a P30 lite with 2.350g and 50 minutes.. Cash price of device is about 6k of I had to buy it cash.. Total price for contract is R7200.. Which means I'm spending R1200 for two years with the above data and mins.. I think that's a bargain imo.. How much would the data and minutes cost u on prepaid just outta interest(forget about the phone for now)

Marcell1992

Just put my son on Afrihost. 1Gb data and 40 minutes for R109pm month to month. At 99c per minute it's not bad. Mostly need it for Telegram.

They also have voice and data prepaid that last 365 days.
Is that R109 for a phone included?

Nah I disagree.. I was on prepaid years ago and hated it.. If I wanna phone then I wanna phone.. No topping up and nonsense like that.. My contract is R299 pm for a P30 lite with 2.350g and 50 minutes.. Cash price of device is about 6k of I had to buy it cash.. Total price for contract is R7200.. Which means I'm spending R1200 for two years with the above data and mins.. I think that's a bargain imo.. How much would the data and minutes cost u on prepaid just outta interest(forget about the phone for now)
Totally agree contract is way cheaper. I almost always pay the phone's price over a 2 year period, so data and minutes is basically free.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Is that R109 for a phone included?
No. R109 is for 1Gb + R39.50 airtime (40 mins @ 99c per minute), with rollover upto double the data and minutes.

I don't get phones on contracts or from the networks either. I rather buy my own outright from China and get a new R2.5k phone every 8 months.

IssiAmd

I have MTN but my data is with Afrihost, better value and month-month

Marcell1992

No. R109 is for 1Gb + R39.50 airtime (40 mins @ 99c per minute), with rollover upto double the data and minutes.

I don't get phones on contracts or from the networks either. I rather buy my own outright from China and get a new R2.5k phone every 8 months.
China as in Amazon, or what website do you use?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Everyone always forgets the opportunity cost of being locked into a 24 month contract.

Marcell1992

SunSky or GearBest. There are some others too.
Wow, thanks a mill. Some top quality phones on GearBest.

Edit: How do you get passed the expensive custom? My uncle had to pay R1500 on a R500 phone.

Last edited: