Cool Ideas clueless

Juggy

Executive Member
I have been with CISP for roughly a year now and transferred all my domains to their management so I could have everything in one place.

My observations and experience regarding the DNS infrastructure and management is nothing short of ridiculous.

1. I have everything set to auto-renew however I was notified by co.za today that a domain of mine managed by CISP has expired and is up for deletion
2. You cannot set a preference on your MX records, say I have 5 MX records for GApps, I cannot set a weighting so they are in order of preference. Every MX records gets a weighting of 0.
3. When I queried the MX thing their technical support staff said they don't host my DNS and I must speak to my DNS hosting provider. Doh, yes you do host my DNS eejit

There are other things as well but this is what comes to mind.

In short, CISP is a fantastic internet service provider but they have absolutely no clue when it comes to a managed service like DNS. Even their support staff have no idea how their own system works and can't even determine if their customers host DNS with them or not.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I have been with CISP for roughly a year now and transferred all my domains to their management so I could have everything in one place.

My observations and experience regarding the DNS infrastructure and management is nothing short of ridiculous.

1. I have everything set to auto-renew however I was notified by co.za today that a domain of mine managed by CISP has expired and is up for deletion
2. You cannot set a preference on your MX records, say I have 5 MX records for GApps, I cannot set a weighting so they are in order of preference. Every MX records gets a weighting of 0.
3. When I queried the MX thing their technical support staff said they don't host my DNS and I must speak to my DNS hosting provider. Doh, yes you do host my DNS eejit

There are other things as well but this is what comes to mind.

In short, CISP is a fantastic internet service provider but they have absolutely no clue when it comes to a managed service like DNS. Even their support staff have no idea how their own system works and can't even determine if their customers host DNS with them or not.
Can I assist you with this?

Juggy

Executive Member
Can I assist you with this?
I doubt it, I private messaged you on the 29th of last month about a different issue and you failed to respond.

What makes me believe you are interested now or is it because my issue is on an open forum and not over PM?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I doubt it, I private messaged you on the 29th of last month about a different issue and you failed to respond.

What makes me believe you are interested now or is it because my issue is on an open forum and not over PM?
Apologies in 3 1/2 years I have 5500 posts so stuff falls through, drop me a mail on paul at cisp.co.za for escalation.

We aren't correctly geared at the moment for the more involved DNS stuff which is what we are addressing with our business support guys.

Juggy

Executive Member
Standard response, get it from CISP support as well.

Why offer a service if you can't do the service? DNS is probably the most important service on the internet. Get it right