Cool Ideas Local Twitch Relay Server

DJZassie

Hi Guys!

So to all the streamers and those thinking about starting out! We all know the issues of streaming to twitch, we just can't get a good connection to their ingest servers! Well fear no more!

Cool Ideas has setup a Twitch Relay Server which a streamer would stream too and it will get relayed over to Twitch Ingest Servers in London (More ingest locations coming soon)

Go have a look guys! Right now it is NOT tied to just Cool Ideas Customers.

Guide is here: http://twitch.cisp.co.za/

I tested it last night for 3 and a half hours at 6000 bitrate... Not 1 dropped frame!

Thanks so much to [MENTION=394133]PBCool[/MENTION] for getting this setup for the Twitch Streamer Community! Another reason why Cool Ideas is the best ISP for the people!

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
Welcome to CoolIdeas' Twitch Ingest Relay

This server relays to twitch ingest servers, on various ports.

• rtmp://twitch.cisp.co.za:1935/live streams to rtmp://live-lhr.twitch.tv/app
  • more to come, send an email to support@cisp.co.za if you require another location

Enjoy your streaming.

How to use the CISP Twitch Relay

1. In your preferred capture application go to your settings and select Custom Streaming Server
2. Under URL use the following "rtmp://twitch.cisp.co.za/live"
3. Stream Key is your Twitch Stream Key found here: https://www.twitch.tv/broadcast/dashboard/streamkey

Thanks to DJZassie (MyBroadband) for the suggestion and assistance

DeatheCore

Just recently got FTTH with CISP and having a blast so far!

This is such a brilliant idea but I just have one question [MENTION=394133]PBCool[/MENTION] - any idea regarding long term feasibility hosting this type of service? Surely it would start costing more and more depending on how many local users are using this service?

DJZassie

Just recently got FTTH with CISP and having a blast so far!

This is such a brilliant idea but I just have one question [MENTION=394133]PBCool[/MENTION] - any idea regarding long term feasibility hosting this type of service? Surely it would start costing more and more depending on how many local users are using this service?
From my understanding CI doesn't use "bandwidth" the same way we do (AKA cap/usage) They have capacity, Lets say they pay for 1gbps transit to EU. it's going to cost the same even if it is idle.

I don't think this will be a problem any time soon as [MENTION=394133]PBCool[/MENTION] has said during peak times CI's up-link capacity is only like 30% used...

Also MR Cool has told me that the relay, so far, is only peaking at around 40 mbps in the evenings :)

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
From my understanding CI doesn't use "bandwidth" the same way we do (AKA cap/usage) They have capacity, Lets say they pay for 1gbps transit to EU. it's going to cost the same even if it is idle.

I don't think this will be a problem any time soon as [MENTION=394133]PBCool[/MENTION] has said during peak times CI's up-link capacity is only like 30% used...

Also MR Cool has told me that the relay, so far, is only peaking at around 40 mbps in the evenings :)
Also this is upstream bandwidth, which is hardly used by most ISPs anyway. I'm not sure why more ISPs aren't offering something like this in order to use that capacity...

DJZassie

Also this is upstream bandwidth, which is hardly used by most ISPs anyway. I'm not sure why more ISPs aren't offering something like this in order to use that capacity...
Because the other ISP's are big corporates, the people that deal with the public don't have access to be able to "Spin up a VM" in the data center to do it. It has to go through all the hoops and 100s of e-mails to do... and it's doesn't exactly line their pockets with money...

So it's on the lowest of priorities to do something like this...

Just another Reason i love Cool Ideas and their way of doing things!

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Because the other ISP's are big corporates, the people that deal with the public don't have access to be able to "Spin up a VM" in the data center to do it. It has to go through all the hoops and 100s of e-mails to do... and it's doesn't exactly line their pockets with money...

So it's on the lowest of priorities to do something like this...

Just another Reason i love Cool Ideas and their way of doing things!
If money was a concern then they could monetise it at a certain uptake.

The fact is it's still unused capacity, and they have nothing to lose by using it.

CISP realises this, they don't... ;)

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Yeah exactly, we have resources that are idle, we are however looking at ways of doing this kind of thing automatically for our customer base, we want the capacity to be used and the experience to be great, no point in it sitting idle.

Cowboy619

Yeah exactly, we have resources that are idle, we are however looking at ways of doing this kind of thing automatically for our customer base, we want the capacity to be used and the experience to be great, no point in it sitting idle.
Does this method work on other isps for Twitch?

KamikaZe_88

Oh my gosh!, thanks Cool Ideas, as soon as my C-Fibre 24month contract expires this year, you will have gained a new customer :)

Flamer283

Is it possible to watch streams from the relay? I have a 10 meg line but can barely watch a stream at 480p.

Last edited:

DeatheCore

Is it possible to watch streams for the relay? I have a 10 meg line but can barely watch a stream at 480p.
Not that I'm aware of, but I can give you some advice since I was on 2, 4, 10 and 20Mbps DSL for ages with the same issue.

Download two applications: Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI

Install both and run Streamlink Twitch GUI.

There is a bit of basic configuration involved but essentially the application pipes the twitch video stream into a media player of your choice, e.g. VLC, and can take advantage of multi-threading.

In the application settings under the 'Streaming' tab setting HLS live edge to '3' and HLS segment threads to '4' worked best for me.

Obviously you can tweak the settings until you find what works best for you.

Flamer283

Not that I'm aware of, but I can give you some advice since I was on 2, 4, 10 and 20Mbps DSL for ages with the same issue.

Download two applications: Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI

Install both and run Streamlink Twitch GUI.

There is a bit of basic configuration involved but essentially the application pipes the twitch video stream into a media player of your choice, e.g. VLC, and can take advantage of multi-threading.

In the application settings under the 'Streaming' tab setting HLS live edge to '3' and HLS segment threads to '4' worked best for me.

Obviously you can tweak the settings until you find what works best for you.
Wow Thanks!!

Works Perfectly!!