CorelDraw finally comes to Mac

phly

Expert Member
So some good news for those of you who are designers, old school and have always relied on Coreldraw for design work. CorelDraw finally decided to embrace the Mac eco system and bring their 2019 iteration to the Mac OS. Strange that they have waited so long as some already jumped ship to Adobe and other alternatives

https://www.coreldraw.com/en/

saor

Honorary Master
CorelDraw.

Great for print layout (do a lot of pdf's with it) but jeez it's frustrating software to use. Can't stand the layers and object tree and the switching between the photo editor to crop images and back again is such a kak workflow. Still on X5 / X6 so not sure what later versions are like but I'm in no rush to upgrade.

phly

Expert Member
CorelDraw.

Great for print layout (do a lot of pdf's with it) but jeez it's frustrating software to use. Can't stand the layers and object tree and the switching between the photo editor to crop images and back again is such a kak workflow. Still on X5 / X6 so not sure what later versions are like but I'm in no rush to upgrade.
It was a beloved software back in the day for design - Also almost every print shop wanted a CDR doc back in the day before they can even look at the design. Some of us eventually hoped over to Adobe and illustrator. Not looking back though. I have learnt to work smart and not hard.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Wow 1989 called, it want's it's 1x cd rom back.

I remember the days when you had WordPerfect, Coreldraw and 1-2-3 as your goto apps.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Wouldn't CorelDraw finally comes back to Mac be a more accurate title?

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
Wow 1989 called, it want's it's 1x cd rom back.

I remember the days when you had WordPerfect, Coreldraw and 1-2-3 as your goto apps.
doubt the cd rom was around then as CD music was only invented a few years before that.
I remember my first CD for computers was Win95 in 1996.
In 1995 my Win 95 was on 1.44Mb Stiffies :)

gamer16

Honorary Master
I would have imagined that the there would be a community developed opensource version of it decades ago, popular piece of software.

EDIT: I remember having a trial version of it once, think I got it from a NAG or PC format disk, good times those were.

phly

Expert Member
Wouldn't CorelDraw finally comes back to Mac be a more accurate title?
True but that would raise more questions about why they left in the first place and why it took them so long to come back. Or why they stood by and watched their marketshare get eaten up by Adobe right before their very own eyes.

I learnt that they recently acquired the virtualization software company Parallels so maybe thats what it took to open their eyes.

Purply

Expert Member
I definitely prefer Coreldraw over Illustrator, but that's mostly because I haven't used Illustrator all that much I guess.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Call me when it returns to Linux, do I miss those days before Microsoft offered Corel cash bailout in order to drop Corel Linux & Draw for Linux.

When you work with CNC Corel rocks. Sure you can AutoCAD -> Vcarve - Cut but for some reason the dam CNC then forget all about economic path'ing and cut like the designer draw(Like crap).

Edit: Ooh I see Draw is now even in Microsoft store as a monthly/annual sub...

Last edited:

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
doubt the cd rom was around then as CD music was only invented a few years before that.
I remember my first CD for computers was Win95 in 1996.
In 1995 my Win 95 was on 1.44Mb Stiffies :)
Music CD's were available from the beginning of the 80's.

I bought my first CD rom drive in 95 and it was one of the first 2x.

Recordable CD roms were available in '92 already. Rewritables in '97

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
Music CD's were available from the beginning of the 80's.

I bought my first CD rom drive in 95 and it was one of the first 2x.

Recordable CD roms were available in '92 already. Rewritables in '97
i paid 350 pounds for my 2x external cd rom burner in 1998 LOL
Before USB was even invented, think it connected to the printer parallel port