Coverage Advice Required for 900 sqm house

mkachwee

Hi guys, just moved into a new place which is huge, the floor area covers about 400sqm and the total plot area is 900sqm.
Any advice to get complete WiFi coverage around the house? I've heard a lot of buzz around mesh system which are really expensive, but most indicate it can only cover about 300 sqm. What would be the best way to get maximum coverage? TIA

WAslayer

Executive Member
Ubiquiti unifi APs..

Two or three if these for the house:

And maybe one to two of these for outside, depending on whether you want all round coverage.. at the same time though, the above APs may give enough range for the outside already, depending..

These APs are controlled from a single user interface, which can run from your PC..

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Hi, I am on a property around the same size and have a mesh set up using Orbi satellites (3 of them). No dead spots other than the back of the garage which is very far away from the main buildings.

EDIT: I don't recommend Orbi. I would change if I could but they work.

swakop_toe

Ubiquiti unifi APs..

And maybe one to two of these for outside, depending on whether you want all round coverage.. at the same time though, the above APs may give enough range for the outside already, depending..

These APs are controlled from a single user interface, which can run from your PC..
I second this option.
Installed four for a buddy of mine in and around the farm house yard, covering the garages, abattoir, massive, old (thick walls) house and up to the children's treehouse.

yogidabear

Currently in a 420sq house on a 9xx erf with 3 x Unifi and very happy. Coverage outside the front of the house is spotty but everywhere else is good meaning speeds >500meg.

mkachwee

Ubiquiti unifi APs..

Hi WASlayer, thanks for the advice, pretty new to this stuff, would I still require a router to link these up? If so your advice?

WAslayer

Executive Member
Hi WASlayer, thanks for the advice, pretty new to this stuff, would I still require a router to link these up? If so your advice?
You still need a router.. don't know what router you have currently but, it's likely to have at least 4 ports on it.. if not, a switch with multiple ports can be had for 300bucks or so, to give you more ports from your router..

Each of the APs will include a PoE injector which is used to power the AP.. so, you will have a network cable connect to each of the PoE injectors for each AP from the router, and then another network cable connect to each AP from the PoE injector..

These APs you typically mount on the ceiling, so you can run the cable for them through the roof, from wherever you put the PoE injector..

mkachwee

You still need a router.. don't know what router you have currently but, it's likely to have at least 4 ports on it.. if not, a switch with multiple ports can be had for 300bucks or so, to give you more ports from your router..

Each of the APs will include a PoE injector which is used to power the AP.. so, you will have a network cable connect to each of the PoE injectors for each AP from the router, and then another network cable connect to each AP from the PoE injector..

These APs you typically mount on the ceiling, so you can run the cable for them through the roof, from wherever you put the PoE injector..
Thank you WAslayer, your assistance and advice is really appreciated! Will look into those Ubiquiti LR AP's