COVID-19 Alert SA app vs Facebook - Permissions compared

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
COVID-19 Alert SA app vs Facebook - Permissions compared

When President Cyril Ramaphosa announced last week that South Africa would move to lockdown level 1, he urged the public to download the COVID-19 Alert SA app.

This application is designed to prevent the spread of the coronavirus by notifying you if you have come into contact with somebody that has tested positive for COVID-19.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
The difference is, who has access to the data collected?

Facebook vs the South African Government, I trust Facebook more.
Lol...

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard
Zuck: Just ask
Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS
[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?
Zuck: People just submitted it.
Zuck: I don't know why.
Zuck: They "trust me"
Zuck: Dumb f*cks

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
The difference is, who has access to the data collected?

Facebook vs the South African Government, I trust Facebook more.

Did you read the article? No data is being collected other when with who (anonymous) you (also anonymous) got in contact with...

Danie_V

Funny thing is we have alternatives to Facebook and Instagram and yet people just stay stuck there - I've been so impressed with Pixelfed (no adverts pushed into feeds, no tracking, no algorithms dictating what I see) I did a video at
showing how well it works. We moan about the Covid app which has been shown and explained how it works with underlying privacy, yet we (not me) stay stuck on Facebook and Instagram without any issues. FB and Instagram know way more about us than anything else at all - it's been recently alleged that Instagram was even using the camera to watch how we read the feed. We seriously need to get our priorities right when it comes to privacy...

LCBXX

Honorary Master
This whole charade where almost everyone "reputable" is trying to reassure the public that the Covid app is safe to install, and then urging the public to install the app, makes me wonder who's left that isn't captured by Government.

This includes MyBB.

phaedrus42

The article misses the point entirely. The danger of the app is not because of security or privacy, but rather because the need for it is premised on a whole bunch of lies, bad science and social conditioning.
If you accept the app, you have fallen for the narrative, and app 2.0 may be actively harmful.

Kaspaas2

How much info about yourself do you "donate" to MyBroadband, Google and others by just posting in this forum?

Gozzy

Maybe a voting poll would be better here, but yeah no, I would stay far far away..... :)

km2

Expert Member
FacebookSA Government
What's the worst they can do should their gaze fall on me?Show even more personalised ads
Can build an elaborate profile based on my actions that they can correlate with similar people
Sell my data to random companies
Can put me in jail
Can deploy the might of the state against me

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
How much info about yourself do you "donate" to MyBroadband, Google and others by just posting in this forum?

Yo dude. Think about it... You posting via browser, which MyBB etc can't see your contents of hdd etc. You want to install an app on your phone that would allow GOVERNMENT to be able to access your phone (contacts, memory, sms etc) with an update "by accident".

Nah... I'm not paranoid. But I'm not fcking crazy to allow them to snoop my phone.

Ps. I don't even use the works wifi on my phone. You give them the right to monitor your usage etc. If they don't like something , they can fire you. Nope. Then I stay on my data. You can't control what message/pics buddies send to you.

edit: Go and read on stuff like this :

Sl8er

Executive Member
I don't use FB and I certainly won't install anc endorsed apps.
Ever.

The anc always makes me think of these guys:

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Did you read the article? No data is being collected other when with who (anonymous) you (also anonymous) got in contact with...

The data is only anonymous because it has not been correlated, it can be de anonymized with a bit of work.

No data can be considered "Anonymous" if you collect enough of it.