• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

CPA & New Vehicle Paint Issue

aquadat0r

Hi there,

I would appreciate your advise on this.

I discovered a major paint flaw on my brand new 2018 Mazda CX-5 when washing my car for the first time this past weekend. The car was only 1 week old, going 2 weeks this weekend.

I tried to polish it out but quickly realized the flaw is actually on the base layer of the paint below the lacquer. It is only clearly visible from specific angles as is the nature of the metallic color but I managed to get a photo clearly showing the extent of the problem. It was impossible to spot on the dealer floor under their lights.

Paint Problem.jpg

I raised this issue with the dealership which took the car in to be polished. They confirmed today that they could not resolve the issue and it looks like a factory paint issue.

It is unacceptable for me that potentially 3 or more panels on a brand new car will need to be resprayed to resolve the issue.

Am I unreasonable in demanding a new car or refund in this case?
What are my rights in the situation? And how should I go about it?

bashan

Hi there,

I would appreciate your advise on this.

I discovered a major paint flaw on my brand new 2018 Mazda CX-5 when washing my car for the first time this past weekend. The car was only 1 week old, going 2 weeks this weekend.

I tried to polish it out but quickly realized the flaw is actually on the base layer of the paint below the lacquer. It is only clearly visible from specific angles as is the nature of the metallic color but I managed to get a photo clearly showing the extent of the problem. It was impossible to spot on the dealer floor under their lights.

View attachment 531103

I raised this issue with the dealership which took the car in to be polished. They confirmed today that they could not resolve the issue and it looks like a factory paint issue.

It is unacceptable for me that potentially 3 or more panels on a brand new car will need to be resprayed to resolve the issue.

Am I unreasonable in demanding a new car or refund in this case?
What are my rights in the situation? And how should I go about it?
Ask for a replacement. Car is 2 weeks old with paint defects on 3 panels(I am assuming it is vrand new). Either they replace or cancell the deal....i am sure the ombudsman will find in your favour...if it even gets that far.

aquadat0r

Ask for a replacement. Car is 2 weeks old with paint defects on 3 panels(I am assuming it is vrand new). Either they replace or cancell the deal....i am sure the ombudsman will find in your favour...if it even gets that far.
Yes it is brand new, only had 3km on the clock.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
That's not cool. That car must be returned for a new one.

But I can't believe a pro body shop can't strip it down to paint and then get it back to standard.

airborne

Executive Member

But I can't believe a pro body shop can't strip it down to paint and then get it back to standard.
They typically won't strip the old paint, they'll prep and spray on top but the problem is matching the colour 100% and blending the new paint with the old, even if it's done almost perfectly it's still a bit of a bodge and even more so because it's mettalic basecoat.

On a brand new vehicle I wouldn't settle on anything more than a new replacement, don't let them fob off their problem onto you, especially on something so basic as a paint defect, that should have been picked up at the factory, not by the end user.

Alternatively they repair and give you a significant cash back to compensate but then you will still almost guaranteed to have arguments about the quality of the paint repair and that could get really dragged out, so best is new car altogether.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
They typically won't strip the old paint, they'll prep and spray on top but the problem is matching the colour 100% and blending the new paint with the old, even if it's done almost perfectly it's still a bit of a bodge and even more so because it's mettalic basecoat.

On a brand new vehicle I wouldn't settle on anything more than a new replacement, don't let them fob off their problem onto you, especially on something so basic as a paint defect, that should have been picked up at the factory, not by the end user.

Alternatively they repair and give you a significant cash back to compensate but then you will still almost guaranteed to have arguments about the quality of the paint repair and that could get really dragged out, so best is new car altogether.

I'm not saying strip the current paint, I'm saying strip off everything else to the core paint and then work it back to a show car shine .

Not sure how much of paint cleaning you understand?

airborne

Executive Member

I'm not saying strip the current paint, I'm saying strip off everything else to the core paint and then work it back to a show car shine .

Not sure how much of paint cleaning you understand?
Wtf.

What will they be "stripping" off the surface of the paint, that defect is obviously in the basecoat under the clearcoat. No amount of cleaning, stripping or polishing of the surface will get it off, geezus :crylaugh:

Last edited:

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Wtf.

What will they be "stripping" off the surface of the paint, that defect is obviously in the basecoat under the clearcoat. No amount of cleaning, stripping or polishing of the surface will get it off, geezus :crylaugh:
There is nothing obvious about that defect being a paint defect, from a low res pic ffs .
They'd be stripping off every other paint protection layer. There are many possibilities that could have caused this paint damage, but OP will have a tough time proving it's a paint defect unless he go through the proper channels.

sometimes when people cry laugh too hard they sh*t their pants , but you on the other hand are releasing that stuff via your mouth ... lick your lips and taste ...

Last edited:

Brawler

Executive Member
I'd push for a new car but I reckon they could match the color pretty easily since the car is new. I wouldn't have it though.

airborne

Executive Member
There is nothing obvious about that defect being a paint defect, from a low res pic ffs .
They'd be stripping off every other paint protection layer. There are many possibilities that could have caused this paint damage, but OP will have a tough time proving it's a paint defect unless he go through the proper channels.

sometimes when people cry laugh too hard they sh*t their pants , but you on the other hand are releasing that stuff via your mouth ... lick your lips and taste ...
You are still holding to your crazy tangent, slug trails maybe?? :crylaugh:

The op even mentions the fact it's a paint defect "quickly realized the flaw is actually on the base layer of the paint below the lacquer."

That is a paint defect isn't even a question for the dealer "I raised this issue with the dealership which took the car in to be polished. They confirmed today that they could not resolve the issue and it looks like a factory paint issue."

It's a paint defect but that's not what's up for debate, the op is just worried about how to remedy the situation, repair or have them replace the whole vehicle.

I say replace because the op would have never have accepted the vehicle in that condition if he had been made aware of the defect before purchase.

aquadat0r

Thanks everyone, it seems the dealer is willing to replace, factory rep is coming out to sign-off.

Holding thumbs they don’t mess me around, else I will have to get a letter of demand under common law and CPA to them.

Tman*

Expert Member
If your car was financed, Inform your finance house about the situation if you get push back from the dealer.