CR2 file?

silkman

Expert Member
So my daughter took her first pics with her camera and we can't view some of them as they are in CR2 format. Do you need a special program to open them? If so what do you guys recommend. She's new to photography.
Thanks in advance

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
she shot in Canon RAW, if she is new rather choose another option otherwise she is going to fill that memory card in no time !!!

APoc184

Honorary Master
It is the camera's RAW format.

The software that came with the camera will be able to open it. As well as most photo editing programs like Lightroom, Photoshop.

silkman

Expert Member
Thanks guys. What's the best format to choose? jpeg?
For now which program do we need to open the pics already taken?

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
Choose JPEG the largest format, it will take good enough photos for now until she gets more accustomed to the camera and the editing etc Then switch to RAW for maximum latitude.

silkman

Expert Member
Raw is almost always better. But as stated it takes up massive amounts of memory.

Have you tried the software include in the camera box?
I wasn't even aware that there was custom software included.

Turing

You've already been given advice on how to open it, so I'll just add my 2c on the RAW format:

It is always better to shoot in RAW, unless storage space is a big concern. Cameras can do both JPG and RAW, but for editing and post-processing, RAW is far superior.

APoc184

Honorary Master
I wasn't even aware that there was custom software included.
I haven't used the included software since my days with Nikon but yeah they always include some software with the cameras. It is not ground breaking editing stuff but at least you will be able to view, manage and do some basic editing after downloading the photos.

Personally I use Lightroom to manage and edit all my photos. There are other options out there but most people serious about their photography will most likely recommend Lightroom and of course shooting in Raw to really make use of the powerful features Lightroom offers. The amount of recovery from over or under exposed photos are just amazing in Lightroom with a Raw format.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Choose JPEG the largest format, it will take good enough photos for now until she gets more accustomed to the camera and the editing etc Then switch to RAW for maximum latitude.
I disagree. Always choose Raw, unless you know you are doing something that will fill a memory card very fast, like using burst mode.
Making adjustments on a Raw file is part of the learning process. I do however suggest shooting Raw+jpg.

As others have said, you can use the software that came with the camera. I think you can download it here:
https://www.canon-europe.com/suppor...ssional.html?os=windows 10 (64-bit)&language=

I use photoshop and lightroom.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
I disagree. Always choose Raw, unless you know you are doing something that will fill a memory card very fast, like using burst mode.
Making adjustments on a Raw file is part of the learning process. I do however suggest shooting Raw+jpg.

As others have said, you can use the software that came with the camera. I think you can download it here:
https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/software/digital-photo-professional.html?os=windows 10 (64-bit)&language=

I use photoshop and lightroom.
RAW is great if you want to get into editing your photos.
OP's daughter has just taken her first ever photos and wants to view them now, and can't.
I suppose there is no harm in shooting RAW +JPG but until she is ready to edit she might as well just shoot JPG as the RAW files will never get touched.
I always just shoot JPG and happy with the amateur results on my Canon, but i shoot RAW for nightsky times into the milky way. Amazing what you can pull from a RAW file.
just my 2c :)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Remind me what camera it is. Canon's software usually does the best job converting raw.

I set my kid's cameras to JPG so they can learn to get it right in camera. Shooting in raw can come later.

Most of my shooting is in JPG unless I'm shooting something under tricky lighting. There's still a lot of wiggle room in JPG if you need it.

Raw should not be capitalized.
Correct - JPG is an an acronym, raw isn't.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Canon's software usually does the best job converting raw.
I'm still amazed by the in-camera noise reduction on JPG compared to what I can achieve in Lightroom with my Raw files.

Perhaps I'm just terrible at using the feature in Lightroom but I believe my camera does a way better job than me.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'm still amazed by the in-camera noise reduction on JPG compared to what I can achieve in Lightroom with my Raw files.

Perhaps I'm just terrible at using the feature in Lightroom but I believe my camera does a way better job than me.
The NR on these newer cameras is great. I do a lot of low light/high shutter speed work and rely heavily on it.

When it comes to raw - sure, it's great and you can push it further than JPG but sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
She should be able to shoot in both Raw and jpeg. That gives her the speed to use the photos she takes but also the ability to work with the ones she feels are special. If she is going to take photography seriously and shoot on manual - then both is the best option. And buy her a bigger memory card and teach her to download them regularly. That way she won't run out of space.

Shooting on automatic will only create jpegs and you are limited with what editing you can do.

Ignore - I really should read all before replying