Credit Card Application

GIGZ

Hi all.

Quick question, but scenario first:
Last year November, I applied for a Capitec Bank CC; all went well until I was asked about which contract am I on.

You see, I couldn't give them a straight answer since, at work I am regarded as a part timer, but I work everyday for the full 8 hours. I earn a wage. This is from Late 2016.
On the flip side, I don't renew my contract at all.
I've only signed a single contract.

Anyway, they called payroll to confirm employment and they were told that I am on a "Permanent On-Going contract'.

Immediately, the Application was Denied.

My credit record is quite good and everything.

My question is, can I get a CC or Loan in the far future with my contract anywhere; and where?

N.B.: I do know about the evils of a CC.

Thanks

beefymoocow

Is normal but stupid. Last year I had a temp contract as a CA and discovery didn’t want to increase my credit card limit even though it’s very low. The best is not to tell them it’s a temp/contract position and try using your bank statement instead

chrisc

Executive Member
Rather get a Capitec debit card. I opened one in 30 mins and I don't even have a job (but I am retired). They were not interested in how much money I was going to deposit

Dan C

Honorary Master
I am a contractor for the past 22 years and never had problems applying for loans, car finance or credit cards.

chrisc

Executive Member
I think the bank officer did not understand the OP's position. Far more dodgy people than he have been granted credit cards

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I think the bank officer did not understand the OP's position. Far more dodgy people than he have been granted credit cards
Yeah it's shocking the amount of credit cards and store account cards some people have

GIGZ

Try the free http://www.virginmoneycard.co.za/virginmoneycard/ but if you have a Capitec account and get regular salary deposits I'm not sure what their problem is?
11 Years Ago, Yes, but OP had his application declined by them because he wasn't permanent: https://goo.gl/DY5aKp

With regards to Capitec Bank, I think that maybe the branch has been having problems with that or maybe it's some NCR thing. IDK

... The best is not to tell them it’s a temp/contract position and try using your bank statement instead
They check your 3 months payslips & check if you're employed, with HR.
Also, the forms ask this question; so no way to run away from it. The options are explicitly Contract, Permanent, Part Time, Fixed Term or Seasonal etc. I'm neither

Rather get a Capitec debit card.
That I have, in fact I get paid through Capitec.

I am a contractor for the past 22 years and never had problems applying for loans, car finance or credit cards.
I don't know how you did it or who you did it with.

It could be that, because my pay meets requirements

Yeah it's shocking the amount of credit cards and store account cards some people have
Indeed

Last edited:

Nobody Important

Executive Member
The bank clerk was confused, he should not have asked if you are "on a contract". Everybody who is employed should have a contract. What he was supposed to ask was if you are on a fixed-term contract or not. If not, that means you are "permanent".

GIGZ

The bank clerk was confused, he should not have asked if you are "on a contract". Everybody who is employed should have a contract. What he was supposed to ask was if you are on a fixed-term contract or not. If not, that means you are "permanent".
He told me that he had a problem with the "ongoing" part of my contract, hence he declined my application.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
He told me that he had a problem with the "ongoing" part of my contract, hence he declined my application.
Ongoing means permanent. If it wasn't ongoing that would mean there is a specific point at which your employment ends.

Ask your company for a copy of your contract and see for yourself

GIGZ

Update:

My application has been accepted by Standard Bank, for their Gold Card.

Will use it sparingly.

Thanks Guys.

Snyper564

Expert Member
Update:

My application has been accepted by Standard Bank, for their Gold Card.

Will use it sparingly.

Thanks Guys.
Don't use it sparingly use it responsibly. Settle before ever earning interest etc....

Snyper564

Expert Member
Yeah, that too.

Will definitely take advantage of the 55-day interest free period.
No try stick to a monthly rotation. I get its interest free for 55 days. but its easier to settle smaller balance monthly than bigger balance 55 days later

walterl

Expert Member
No try stick to a monthly rotation. I get its interest free for 55 days. but its easier to settle smaller balance monthly than bigger balance 55 days later
Agreed. I use my credit card for everything and then settle the whole due amount every month just after payday. So I never pay any interest. Obviously you need to make sure that you don't spend more on the credit card than what you get on payday, otherwise this won't work.

Snyper564

Expert Member
Agreed. I use my credit card for everything and then settle the whole due amount every month just after payday. So I never pay any interest. Obviously you need to make sure that you don't spend more on the credit card than what you get on payday, otherwise this won't work.
Perfect approach!

GIGZ

Perfect approach!
Noted.
I'll use it for Uber & Taxify mainly, and maybe some online shopping (which doesn't happen that much currently anyway) and pay it off at month end.
I even went to the extent of dropping my offered limit, so I know I won't go crazy.

That way, I'll improve my credit sc