Customs Dispute

That’s the sticky part.

There ended up being no courier but the Italian Post Office instead and I’m actually pretty damn astounded it went through out local post office and arrived in the estimated time and perfectly in one piece.

So I’ll need to take it up with customs

Ah well then it's a case of how much you value your time and sanity vs the incorrect duties.

splattie

Yeah I figured.

Is there a dedicated online channel or email address I can harass?
That was UPS that did the clearance erroneously, not customs. Take it up with UPS. They should have cleared under TH 8714 99 00 4.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
That was UPS that did the clearance erroneously, not customs. Take it up with UPS. They should have cleared under TH 8714 99 00 4.

UPS had nothing to do with any of this.

It’s the Italian Post Office. I don’t read/speak/write Italian.

splattie

UPS had nothing to do with any of this.

It’s the Italian Post Office. I don’t read/speak/write Italian.
Apologies, I see now Merlin posted the UPS customs worksheet.

So you paid and collected at the post office already?

SureThing

That’s the sticky part.

There ended up being no courier but the Italian Post Office instead and I’m actually pretty damn astounded it went through out local post office and arrived in the estimated time and perfectly in one piece.

So I’ll need to take it up with customs directly and therefore the thread.
So I assume you have collected the exhaust and the tariff code was produced on collection and the service agent did not budge and mentioned you must pay first and then take it up with SARS.
If that is correct the Post Office manager should have been able to assist you in providing the contact details and in fact assist in attempting to solve the problem for you. The person I dealt with was Ntombizanele nngaba@sars.gov.za. hopefully he will guide you on what to do next. Hope this helps.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Yeah the SAPO unbelievably rocked up at my door to deliver but then idiotically expected me to have R2500 in cash to pay for the customs.

So I went to collect it and paid and they advised to take it up with SARS.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So I assume you have collected the exhaust and the tariff code was produced on collection and the service agent did not budge and mentioned you must pay first and then take it up with SARS.
If that is correct the Post Office manager should have been able to assist you in providing the contact details and in fact assist in attempting to solve the problem for you. The person I dealt with was Ntombizanele nngaba@sars.gov.za. hopefully he will guide you on what to do next. Hope this helps.

Thanks! Will certainly give them a try.

The post office didn’t have anyone available to assist and quite frankly I didn’t trust to leave it there and will rather use some money than all of it.

Merlin

Expert Member

Apologies for the confusion.

That was a customs worksheet for a recent shipment of mine, for use as a sample. It is not the OP's worksheet.

SureThing

I’m on Cape Town so that will work perfectly.

Thanks.
Great. The Postoffice are delivering on time so there are changes taking place...slow but they are real. I import from China using China mail...my goods arrive...it takes time but it arrives. Dont give up on the PostOffice they are addressing all known issues.

airborne

Honorary Master
Yeah the SAPO unbelievably rocked up at my door to deliver but then idiotically expected me to have R2500 in cash to pay for the customs.

So I went to collect it and paid and they advised to take it up with SARS.
So it was sent by the Italian post office via EMS?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So it was sent by the Italian post office via EMS?

Dude, who the duck knows at this point.

Ordered on eBay. Very first mail was English.

Then it all went Italian from there and I figured oh **** this is going to end badly.

Then 2 days before the estimated arrival the Post Office chap rocks up at my door asking for R2500 in cash.

I’m well impressed with the post office overall, but why not bring a card machine? I mean come on.

Never mind failing to even notify me up front of delivery or duties.

My tracking app told me but SAPO failed to do so.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Customs beings customs you don't know what you're going to get out of this.

If (and this is a big if) SAPO end up doing the VOC for you, customs could reject in many ways and even hit you with an incorrect tariff declaration penalty (~R1500).

That is of course a SAPO error but then are you going to start fighting with them ?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Great. The Postoffice are delivering on time so there are changes taking place...slow but they are real. I import from China using China mail...my goods arrive...it takes time but it arrives. Dont give up on the PostOffice they are addressing all known issues.
Credit where credit is due these guys really appear to be picking up their socks.

I mailed both the emails provided earlier and the CPTInternational one responded 10 minutes later adding a couple of other people and asking someone to confirm the tariff and then to start a refund application.

I am truly astounded.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Customs beings customs you don't know what you're going to get out of this.

If (and this is a big if) SAPO end up doing the VOC for you, customs could reject in many ways and even hit you with an incorrect tariff declaration penalty (~R1500).

That is of course a SAPO error but then are you going to start fighting with them ?
I feel this post is nothing but unnecessary fear mongering.

It's also full of acronyms and jargon that means nothing to a normal person.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Credit where credit is due these guys really appear to be picking up their socks.

I mailed both the emails provided earlier and the CPTInternational one responded 10 minutes later adding a couple of other people and asking someone to confirm the tariff and then to start a refund application.

I am truly astounded.
And literally just as a posted this which was less than an hour after I sent the email their Operational Manager confirmed there should be no duties applied so they'll start the process of issuing a refund.

Things have certainly changed since the last time I had to directly deal with customs some 10ish years ago before I started handing it all to couriers and forwarding agents to do.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
I feel this post is nothing but unnecessary fear mongering.

It's also full of acronyms and jargon that means nothing to a normal person.
Even a layman knows customs will f c k you around however they want.

No offence / insult intended

VOC - Voucher of Change
SAPO - South African Post Office

Sorry to bombard you with so many acronyms