Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer monetization

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
And with that the last good guy AAA studio falls to the dark side.
Once they've had a taste of 'recurring player spending' there wil be no way of containing the thirst.
Weep for gaming.

The end is nigh.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
They said they are looking at monetization but have given zero details, probably cosmetics and stuff, who cares.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Once they've had a taste of 'recurring player spending' there wil be no way of containing the thirst.
Weep for gaming.

The end is nigh.
As long as there is no P2W model then it should be okay. I do however have a grievance where developers/publishers make the grind so hard, that you may purchase booster packs to circumvent the 'problem' created by the developers/publishers.

It isn't horse armour, you know, cosmetics in a single-player game.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Just as a notice, when companies introduce things like skins and whatever else may be tied to an account. Expect the GOG launcher to evolve like Steamworks. Those buying it on Steam will launch through GOG, most likely.

I have no issue with companies maintaining their own ecosystems, but I know people don't like to launch through other launchers. This also questions whether the game will be offline, and separate download which may also launch without the internet connectivity. It may very well be that the singleplayer and multiplayer game modes are separate components.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
Just as a notice, when companies introduce things like skins and whatever else may be tied to an account. Expect the GOG launcher to evolve like Steamworks. Those buying it on Steam will launch through GOG, most likely.

I have no issue with companies maintaining their own ecosystems, but I know people don't like to launch through other launchers. This also questions whether the game will be offline, and separate download which may also launch without the internet connectivity. It may very well be that the singleplayer and multiplayer game modes are separate components.
I think I read somewhere they said the multiplayer is only coming out after the singleplayer is done, after all DLC/expansions are out.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Thing is,
Throughout Cyberpunk development they made fun of other companies and their monetization, stated they will never be like them and here we are
monetization in a CD Project game.
Can never believe what any of them say

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Still not as bad as Ubisoft / EA! Thats micro transactions on a whole new level. Just when you think they can't go any lower . . .

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Plenty of time for CD Project to turn into a hold my beer meme.
After the fall of Bethesda I don't trust any of them anymore.

OCP

Expert Member
Weep for gaming.

The end is nigh.
Let's get all the facts before you write them off.

CDPR has a good reputation - this may not be the end just yet :)

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
Thing is,
Throughout Cyberpunk development they made fun of other companies and their monetization, stated they will never be like them and here we are
This is their first time doing MP except for Gwent.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Let's get all the facts before you write them off.

CDPR has a good reputation - this may not be the end just yet :)
Of course.
However.
What has happened in the past with all the defending and writing off monetization as 'nothing to worry about.' 'It's just cosmetic'

It is from not caring that we sit with the EA, 2K, Bethesda and Ubisofts of the world. We let it all slide and now we are where we are today.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Thing is,
Problem is gog is mostly running at a loss....it's a tough choice.....keep running at a loss, close down, or join the rest........Sure CD project in it self is a different entity, but they still own gog, if it starts eating away at cd project profit to keep it afloat.The I completely agree with the developer, I rather have them do this and keep gog alive, it's far more awesome then steam, especially with no DRM.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
They said they are looking at monetization but have given zero details, probably cosmetics and stuff, who cares.
Also, could monetization just not refer to whether it's paid DLC or not, for example? If it's a sizeable amount of work, fair enough that they charge for it. OP hasn't really provided anything indicating what it refers to.

My understanding is they've ruled out microtransactions, so it's not that.

Witcher 3 had 2 paid DLC's, so not new.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Also, could monetization just not refer to whether it's paid DLC or not, for example? If it's a sizeable amount of work, fair enough that they charge for it. OP hasn't really provided anything indicating what it refers to.

My understanding is they've ruled out microtransactions, so it's not that.

Witcher 3 had 2 paid DLC's, so not new.
Because they have not given details and are being very secretive about it.
Paid DLC is paid DLC, not monetization. Monetization is microtransactions.

Urist

Expert Member
As long as the single player experience is the complete thing we've come to expect from them, I don't care what they do to keep multiplayer servers running.

OCP

Expert Member
As long as the single player experience is the complete thing we've come to expect from them, I don't care what they do to keep multiplayer servers running.
Exactly.

Hosting and comms for multiple servers is not cheap so money needs to come from somewhere.

If Bethesda had made a decent game out of FallOut76 I would be happy to pay a subscription (eg. Eve Online) but not for that crapshoot!

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
I don't buy the server running excuse.
Single player focused games never had issues before with their multiplayer servers and never had extra monetization 'to keep them running'

Why for the last few years suddenly, oh, no the money you paid for the game is not enough anymore, because servers.

Give them a finger, they expect the hand.
All the companies that started with 'just cosmetic stuff' is proof of that.

I have a better solution.
Get rid of the multiplayer. There are more than enough multiplayer games already.