D-Link PowerLine DHP-600AV any good?

karlzoller

TLDR: Anyone used any PowerLine/HomePlug networking devices before? What sort of performance, especially regarding latency did you achieve? I am considering the D-Link DHP-600AV

Full context:

I have just moved into a new apartment where the Telkom DSL point (which they will not move due to some or other weak reason), is at the opposite end of the building relative to my PCs. I have considered a few different options to get connectivity from one end to the other:

1. Wireless - Dongles will be a pain+expensive (due to multiple PCs), WDS bridge doesn't support WPA2 with my router, and latency on wireless isn't the best anyway.
2. Ethernet - If all other options fail - I am renting so don't want to drill holes through the walls and would prefer not having un-sightly cables running down the passage wall - but will bear this if there are no other good alternatives.
3. PowerLine adapters - Looks like a good option, but not much data on performance wrt. latency.

Point A: Asus DSL-N66U
Point B: Server + Desktop, connected via Gigabit Switch.
I currently have a 4Mbps DSL line, but will be upgrading to either 20 or 40 Mbps in the very near future.

By the title of my post, I am obviosly considering option 3 - possibly a set of these: http://www.dlinkmea.com/site/index.php/site/productDetails/706[SUB][/SUB]

However, none of the reviews seems to mention anything about latency. Bandwidth is definitely dependent on the quality and age of the electrical wiring (my apartment block is fairly new, so I do not think this is a concern) but stats on latency is up in the air at the moment.

Has anyone used this product before, or similar? What has been your experience?

MickZA

Executive Member
I'm using the TP-Link version:

... straight cat5
Code:
[mick@mick1 ~]$ mtr -rc 10 mickcop
Start: Fri May  8 09:22:52 2015
HOST: mick1.mickza                Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
  1.|-- mickcop                    0.0%    10    0.4   0.3   0.2   0.4   0.0

... over powerline:
Code:
mick@house ~$ mtr -rc 10 mickcop
Start: Fri May  8 09:23:31 2015
HOST: house                       Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
  1.|-- newcop                     0.0%    10    3.9   3.5   3.3   3.9   0.0

mickcop = IPCop router

PsyWulf

Executive Member
My latency in my house is about 1-2ms higher,and I game quite a bit

Only irritation is sometimes you need to reboot a unit if it suddenly loses access to the network,but that's pretty much the tale of any electronic device