Danny Glover surprises Marchers

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
US actor and activist Danny Glover surprised Popcru members at Mary Fitzgerald Square in central Johannesburg on Thursday.

He told the crowd he supported them.

"I'm here on behalf of all the workers in Mississippi. We are all supporting each other, we must stand together. Amandla," he said.

He was accompanied by president of the United Automobile Workers' Union of America, Bob King.

The National Union of Metalworkers of SA had invited the two.

Police and Prisons Civil Rights Union (Popcru) members in Gauteng are taking to the streets to demand that the SA Police Service honours an agreement to change administrative staff salary grades.

Source : Sapa /mr/tk/dd/th/jk
Date : 30 May 2013 13:17

Picture_943492_573810995996775_195322569_n.jpg

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Is this a prank????????? :confused::mad:

This country is being paralized by strikes etc and now we have a fcking American actor coming here spurring them on??? REALLLLY???????? :mad:

jouda

Expert Member
Yes, Thanks a lot!! Please continue to encourage these clowns to strike and harm our economy and investor confidence even more :mad:

Cius

Executive Member
Do you guys even know why they are striking? I was under the impression that management made them promises two years ago as part of a formal negotiation (one that did not include strikes) and management then ignored their commitments and did not implement the salary bands. Hence they are on strike as it seems to be the only language the police leadership responds too.

Generally I am very against strikes, especially if they are for 60% wage increases and if they envolve violence, intimidation, and vandalism, but this is one of the few in recent years where it does not seem to be the workers fault.

Thingyyyyyy

Expert Member
Do you guys even know why they are striking? I was under the impression that management made them promises two years ago as part of a formal negotiation (one that did not include strikes) and management then ignored their commitments and did not implement the salary bands. Hence they are on strike as it seems to be the only language the police leadership responds too.

Generally I am very against strikes, especially if they are for 60% wage increases and if they envolve violence, intimidation, and vandalism, but this is one of the few in recent years where it does not seem to be the workers fault.
yes, and I'm not against them striking. I just don't get why a celebrity would join them. did you see what is happening to the RAnd. More media attention in this regard is not good for us.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I heard he called SADTU a great union.

I will never ever pay money for any movie he has anything to do with again.

Cius: as to the popcru strike - apparently the agreement had two sides to it, and 1) popcru haven't met their commitment and 2) there is a high court interdict preventing management from implementing the required change.

Cius

Executive Member
Cius: as to the popcru strike - apparently the agreement had two sides to it, and 1) popcru haven't met their commitment and 2) there is a high court interdict preventing management from implementing the required change.
Ah, that makes more sense then. Thanks for the info. I had not read much on it but did catch a summary blurb or two hence my questions.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Hey if Bruce Willis can visit US troops in Iraq, what is wrong with Danny Glover visiting troupes in South Africa

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Hey if Bruce Willis can visit US troops in Iraq, what is wrong with Danny Glover visiting troupes in South Africa
Bruce Willis is a American visiting American troops. This is a American actor coming here and basically spurring on a strike? Not the same thing. This guy must fck off! Go make another Lethal Weapon movie or something and stop causing more **** in a country already rocked by unrest ffs!!!!

isie

Honorary Master
US actor and activist Danny Glover surprised Popcru members at Mary Fitzgerald Square in central Johannesburg on Thursday.

He told the crowd he supported them.

"I'm here on behalf of all the workers in Mississippi. We are all supporting each other, we must stand together. Amandla," he said.

He was accompanied by president of the United Automobile Workers' Union of America, Bob King.

The National Union of Metalworkers of SA had invited the two.

Police and Prisons Civil Rights Union (Popcru) members in Gauteng are taking to the streets to demand that the SA Police Service honours an agreement to change administrative staff salary grades.

Source : Sapa /mr/tk/dd/th/jk
Date : 30 May 2013 13:17

View attachment 53023
And here I thought he would be "getting too Old for this ****"

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
[video=youtube_share;9v4CFjrjBxc]http://youtu.be/9v4CFjrjBxc[/video]

He never got tired watching Lethal Weapon 2.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
Heard on the radio this morning. I was W T F. Typical American attitude to come here and throw his weight behind an issue he knows only partly off.