Dead PC

gseptember69

Good Day All, I normally leave my PC running during the day and after yesterday's load shedding when i got home I switched it on and it's dead but the motherboard still has a light on, but when I unplug the power cable it goes off.
So to reiterate:
When I push the power switch nothing happens.
There is light on the motherboard.
When I unplug the power cable the light goes off on the board.
I've tried plugging the power cable into a different plug as well same results

So is my PSU fried or is there perhaps something else I could check

Regards
Grant

|tera|

Master of Messengers
My suggestion.
Unplug again. Press the power button a few times while it's unplugged.
Insert the power back and see if it boots.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Yes, it is 90% most likely to be your PSU that is fried. Just buy another one and slap that baby into the case.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Sounds like a motherboard to me considering the light on the motherboard is coming on, but I could be wrong.

You can claim from insurance if you have and they will replace it for you just say it was lightning. Worst case they pay you out and you pay in a little and get a new pc.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Sounds like a motherboard to me considering the light on the motherboard is coming on, but I could be wrong.

You can claim from insurance if you have and they will replace it for you just say it was lightning. Worst case they pay you out and you pay in a little and get a new pc.
I don't understand how people can give advice to commit insurance fraud.
It's probably the worst advice to give.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
I don't understand how people can give advice to commit insurance fraud.
It's probably the worst advice to give.

I knew I was going to get stick and nothing I can say will justify it but I pay huge amounts of money to protect myself against external forces on my home. You then get a situation where you need your insurance once every 10 years then I use them.

I went to bed and it was working and when I woke up it wasn't, it may be lightning but I'm not sure.

Now you can hate on me but thats how I see it

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Unplug, open up, remove RAM, put RAM back in, plug in and try booting.

If still not booting, unplug,, but this time remove and then put back in the BIOS battery, plug in and try booting.

Qrox

Expert Member
If you have a old power supply somewhere, then try booting it with that.
I don't know what kind of motherboard you have, but some motherboards have power on / off buttons straight on the board. If yours has that and it still doesn't do anything when you press that, then I would guess its your power supply as well.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I knew I was going to get stick and nothing I can say will justify it but I pay huge amounts of money to protect myself against external forces on my home. You then get a situation where you need your insurance once every 10 years then I use them.

I went to bed and it was working and when I woke up it wasn't, it may be lightning but I'm not sure.

Now you can hate on me but thats how I see it
I'm not hating. I'm explaining that insurance fraud is no-no, even if you haven't used your insurance policy for claims in 10 years.
It's not correct to advise the OP to give it over to insurance, because of lightning, because he clearly said it was due to loadshedding.
Even if you feel justified by this, since you paid 10 years for insurance and didn't use it, you could really land in some hot water if it's found out.
Fraud is a serious crime and has some harsh penalties and jail time.
Even how corrupt a nation or government is, we as Citizens don't ever need to stoop to their level.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm not hating. I'm explaining that insurance fraud is no-no, even if you haven't used your insurance policy for claims in 10 years.
It's not correct to advise the OP to give it over to insurance, because of lightning, because he clearly said it was due to loadshedding.
Even if you feel justified by this, since you paid 10 years for insurance and didn't use it, you could really land in some hot water if it's found out.
Fraud is a serious crime and has some harsh penalties and jail time.
Even how corrupt a nation or government is, we as Citizens don't ever need to stoop to their level.

Remember that if your house is cleaned out and your insurance company won't budge from their offer of like R20k.

Seen it happen to so many friends and family. It's just a numbers game to them. A miniscule number of people can afford the time and money to hold them to their obligations, so there's a strong incentive to not offer fair compensation. Only at the 11th hour, if their lawyers decide that they would probably lose any commencing legal action, will they yield and pay the full amount.

Folks can take these bastards for every cent they can, as far as I'm concerned. Load shedding or lightning, who cares. It's an external event that broke your stuff either way.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Yep that looks like I'll have to be doing that.
Thanks Eskom

How is this ESKOM's fault?

There are load shedding schedules...

When I leave home, I shut my PC's down and unplug it. Amazingly enough, I have had no damage .

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Remember that if your house is cleaned out and your insurance company won't budge from their offer of like R20k.

Seen it happen to so many friends and family. It's just a numbers game to them. A miniscule number of people can afford the time and money to hold them to their obligations, so there's a strong incentive to not offer fair compensation. Only at the 11th hour, if their lawyers decide that they would probably lose any commencing legal action, will they yield and pay the full amount.

Folks can take these bastards for every cent they can, as far as I'm concerned. Load shedding or lightning, who cares. It's an external event that broke your stuff either way.
It comes down to personal decisions. Even if people feel justified to lie about the extent or method of damage, it doesn't make it right to do so.
It's a decision between wrong and right.
If insurance covers external events like loadshedding then it's logical to claim for it.
If insurance doesn't cover it and you attribute it to lightning damage if covered, then it's wrong.
Being peeved at some insurance companies because they take people for a ride isn't a valid argument to commit fraud.
Edit: double typed external

Last edited:

gamer16

Honorary Master
How is this ESKOM's fault?

There are load shedding schedules...

When I leave home, I shut my PC's down and unplug it. Amazingly enough, I have had no damage .

Yeah coz they stick to those schedules 100% neh? And there are never any power failures neh?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Yeah coz they stick to those schedules 100% neh? And there are never any power failures neh?
At least TRY, neh?

Manage whatever is within your own control, neh?

He admits leaving his PC on when leaving the house, neh?

Why not shut it down and limit the risk?

gamer16

Honorary Master
At least TRY, neh?

Manage whatever is within your own control, neh?

He admits leaving his PC on when leaving the house, neh?

Why not shut it down and limit the risk?

Shut down the PC? What year is this? Hibernate tjom, dis the future neh.