Debt Collectors, Emails, SMSs

wetwipes

Hi, I recently had a medical procedure done and the pathology company had me sign an agreement. Even before they sent me a bill I received an SMS saying that since payment had not been made they would hand the matter to a debt collector.

The company seems to sell all debt to a factoring collector. Then I received a call from the collection agency (VeriCheck) and enquired what the amount was. I immediately made a payment. However, there seems to be a "debt collector fee" that I either didn't see/wasn't informed about (more likely).

The debt collector then called my work (even though they had a cell number for me and had previously contacted me on my cell phone). I wasn't in, so they left a message giving (1) the name of their company and saying to my colleague that (2) their call was about my account with the medical company.

When I got into the office, everyone was telling me how not paying my bills is something that doesn't look good for my job/work prospects. I felt that this was a violation of their code of conduct. When they did reach me again I explained how upset I am and how damaging their behaviour could be.

Their response is that they did not specifically identify themselves as a debt collector so they had not breached their code of conduct. I think this is a silly argument. If a company with the name "VeriCheck" calls about your account with X company, certainly there is sufficient insinuation about the nature of the call.

I was of the mind to report this matter to the Council for Debt Collectors but didn't find them registered and I was unable to find a business address for them. It's a small amount at dispute but I don't think they should get away with the reputational damage they have caused.

I received several SMSs about being handed over to an attorney. I welcomed that because then I would, for the first time, have something in writing about just who VeriCheck is and be able to complain to the Council. Today I received via email a "final demand" letter and it appears that VeriCheck is a trading name for a registered VeriCred Collections Pty Ltd.

Is that email valid? Do I have grounds for a complaint to the Council? What should I do next? I can afford the amount but the principle of the matter concerns me.

newklear

Expert Member
Hi, I recently had a medical procedure done and the pathology company had me sign an agreement. Even before they sent me a bill I received an SMS saying that since payment had not been made they would hand the matter to a debt collector.

The company seems to sell all debt to a factoring collector. Then I received a call from the collection agency (VeriCheck) and enquired what the amount was. I immediately made a payment. However, there seems to be a "debt collector fee" that I either didn't see/wasn't informed about (more likely).

The debt collector then called my work (even though they had a cell number for me and had previously contacted me on my cell phone). I wasn't in, so they left a message giving (1) the name of their company and saying to my colleague that (2) their call was about my account with the medical company.

When I got into the office, everyone was telling me how not paying my bills is something that doesn't look good for my job/work prospects. I felt that this was a violation of their code of conduct. When they did reach me again I explained how upset I am and how damaging their behaviour could be.

Their response is that they did not specifically identify themselves as a debt collector so they had not breached their code of conduct. I think this is a silly argument. If a company with the name "VeriCheck" calls about your account with X company, certainly there is sufficient insinuation about the nature of the call.

I was of the mind to report this matter to the Council for Debt Collectors but didn't find them registered and I was unable to find a business address for them. It's a small amount at dispute but I don't think they should get away with the reputational damage they have caused.

I received several SMSs about being handed over to an attorney. I welcomed that because then I would, for the first time, have something in writing about just who VeriCheck is and be able to complain to the Council. Today I received via email a "final demand" letter and it appears that VeriCheck is a trading name for a registered VeriCred Collections Pty Ltd.

Is that email valid? Do I have grounds for a complaint to the Council? What should I do next? I can afford the amount but the principle of the matter concerns me.
If it's worth the hassle of time and frustration then get legal advice and push forward.

According to this: https://www.justice.gov.za/legislation/regulations/r2003/2003_r663_gg24867.pdf , Defamation/threats/intimidation etc. in public is a no no for a defined debt collector.

John Tempus

Executive Member

Looks like these guys are bottom of the barrel scum debt collectors bordering on scam like.

Here is an example of VeriCred public rep replying on he reported issues. Does this look like an educated person or the writing of a scam artist ? The professional nature of even mentioning accusations shows that these guys are constantly on the defense daily due to their conduct.

"
Vericred's reply:
11 May 2020, 13:54

Good day ANTOON N, further to your accusations , you however do not provide any relevant and required information as requesed under the ADDITIONAL INFORMATION section to be able to investigate properly and to trace the account in question. Under the ciscumstances please supply the necessary information to investigate accordingly in this regard.Thank you, VERICRED COLLECTIONS (PTY) LTD

"