Defy Fridge Constantly Running

frodob

I have a Defy DFC 396 fridge/freezer which recently started running constantly. The fridge and freezer are still cooling/freezing the food (the food in the fridge compartment is not frozen at all). The temperature of the food inside the fridge and freezer seems pretty normal.

The front of the partitioning between the fridge and freezer, the outside side panel next to the freezer, and the condenser grid at the back of the freezer are quite warm. I noticed that when I turn the thermostat right down, the fridge compressor turns off immediately. I then return the thermostat to the desired position, and the compressor will remain off for a while. After a while, it will turn back on again, and then run constantly until I turn down the thermostat again. I noticed as well that it seems to take quite a while for things in the fridge to cool down.

Does anyone have any clues for me as to what could be wrong with the fridge?

thehuman

Expert Member
Could be a bad thermostat, or for some reason it doesn't reach temperature ( gas leaked out)
You could try replacing thermostat , see if there a defy branch near you , they sell spares to public.

Gozado

frodob

Could be a bad thermostat, or for some reason it doesn't reach temperature ( gas leaked out)
You could try replacing thermostat , see if there a defy branch near you , they sell spares to public.

Thanks, I'm also leaning in that direction. I see if I turn the thermostat down to a lower setting, the fridge no longer runs constantly... Today the ambient temperature is cooler as well, so I'm not sure if that's had any impact. I wonder if load shedding has killed something.

craigcul

Hi there anther thing to check is if the grill at the back of the fridge is clean as if that is very dirty the dust can stop the heat from being able to dissipate

frodob

Hi there anther thing to check is if the grill at the back of the fridge is clean as if that is very dirty the dust can stop the heat from being able to dissipate

Thanks, yes. I cleaned off the condenser grid, but it was not that dusty to start with, so I suspect it didn't have that much of an impact.

thehuman

Expert Member
Be careful of guys saying it out of gas and just topping it up , there a reason why it loosing gas.
If they dont find the leak a few weeks later could need a top up again.