Demand uncapped mobile data, ISPA says

Budza

Executive Member
Uncapped mobile is awesome. Totally changes how you use your phone: YouTube on the go, Google Play (or other) music streaming all day. Update apps whenever, use more apps, use more services. Spend more money through mobile in general I reckon.

AYCE Data, 200 Minutes
30-day contract 200 minutes and Unlimited texts
All-You-Can-Eat data FREE£18Tethering included
Free calls to 080 numbers
£18/m

http://www.store-3.co.uk/3-unlimited-data-one-plan.html

This should be possible in SA, even if more expensive.

*Comes with 4GB/m of tethering...

Bobbin

Executive Member
Are there not physical constraints to this? Obviously there is demand for uncapped data in all spheres. But I suspect there are physical limitations to how many wireless (LTE/3G etc...) devices can be supported in a geographical area before interference becomes too great, coupled with the return on investment for each cell tower to carry that amount of bandwidth both on local infrastructure and fiber lines back to the POP.

In other words if you promote mobile data too heavily you will hit a bottleneck not easily overcome and the service will collapse. No?

Randux

Expert Member
Let them start with cutting prepaid data pricing. Things haven't changed there for a couple of years now.

Budza

Executive Member
but, but... greed.

True- I use ~150GB/m on my mobile ;)

aDownloader

Shaping is hectic though, so that only really works after midnight and before 9am, which is perfect really. If the infrastructure is sitting idle, let those that want to use it use it!

Normal use during the day, sometimes with a bit of streaming music when not on WiFi at work..

Swa

Honorary Master
Are there not physical constraints to this? Obviously there is demand for uncapped data in all spheres. But I suspect there are physical limitations to how many wireless (LTE/3G etc...) devices can be supported in a geographical area before interference becomes too great, coupled with the return on investment for each cell tower to carry that amount of bandwidth both on local infrastructure and fiber lines back to the POP.

In other words if you promote mobile data too heavily you will hit a bottleneck not easily overcome and the service will collapse. No?
Cell C already has 200GB valid for a year. Though only a quarter of that is for regular daytime use it's still viable to have something like 1TB on LTE. I wonder if Cell C can do that over the long range bands like they did with HSPA. If they have 1TB which most people won't come close to using they might as well offer uncapped.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
True- I use ~150GB/m on my mobile ;)

aDownloader

Shaping is hectic though, so that only really works after midnight and before 9am, which is perfect really. If the infrastructure is sitting idle, let those that want to use it use it!

Normal use during the day, sometimes with a bit of streaming music when not on WiFi at work..

150GB is a lot, personally I would be happy if I get about 50GB and they shape/throttle it to 2mbs , at 2mbs youtube works fine at 360p and so does most of the other streaming too.

But in this country , it wont ever happen.

HideInLight

Expert Member
Can the mobile operators then demand uncapped spectrum?

If all the held back spectrum was allocated to Vodacom, what would one be able to buy for R150 on prepaid?

All I know is the day 1 Gig was allocated to everyone in SA, the Vodacom network completely broke down.
There's always gonna be the need for some kind of throttling, even if it's 100kb/s it'll be fine, just as long as gaming is still possible.

But uncapped would also mean the death of OOB, so it'll never happen.

Swa

Honorary Master
If all the held back spectrum was allocated to Vodacom, what would one be able to buy for R150 on prepaid?

All I know is the day 1 Gig was allocated to everyone in SA, the Vodacom network completely broke down.
There's always gonna be the need for some kind of throttling, even if it's 100kb/s it'll be fine, just as long as gaming is still possible.

I wonder what Cell C or Telkom can do with LTE on all that spectrum.

HideInLight

Expert Member
Give it to CellC and Telkom for 2 years.
Vodacom can then have it's Neotel.

Should be easier to allocate spectrum then after those 2 years.
Should also fully undo the anti competitive actions MTN and Vodacom took with regards to MTR.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert

We killed OOB years ago with Advanced and no-one wanted it. I built on the back of this forum and a few people here used it.

Swa

Honorary Master
We killed OOB years ago with Advanced and no-one wanted it. I built on the back of this forum and a few people here used it.
Correction. Vodacom wanted to charge extra for it which defeats the purpose. Just like when data rollover was introduced but new bundles were still depleted before old ones making it meaningless. Cell C made it standard and it was an instant hit. Go figure. ;) Don't know if they still have it though.