Denel ditches Rooivalk chopper

talking about the Rooivalk 'Afrikaans' name and the debate about there being other, more pressing local issues that needs munny.....
I understand there's a new multi billion Rand project on the way, armoured vehicles called .... the "Hoefyster" :D ... no horse **** :D
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_1491881,00.html
saw in the newspapers yesterday too. Most probly meant to go sort out the **** in other countries :(
Well, I suppose the millions of Rands that go wasted by Escom and the traffic department recently, to name but a few, shows that munny is not a problem for our gov.... don't think the homeless and jobless feel the same tho :rolleyes:
 
As I said - whoever buys the hardware will rename it. SA did the same with the Mirage (Cheetah) and the Impala (Aeromachi). Then there was the Israeli Galil (R4/5).
 
hmmm.... memories of the R4/R5...
I thought it was a lekka rifle... ahem... for shooting, ... not doing physical exercises :sick: :D
 
The concept is the same. Large front cannon. Cabin for freight/troops. The Apache doesn't have the cabin.

Rooivalk does not have a troop/freight cabin either. All it shares with the Hind is the tandem pilot and operator cockpit layout. The Hind is a big mamma. ATE is acrually bringing new life into them in Midrand.
 
Really?

Doesn't look anything like a Hind.
From the little I know I think the previous regime pushed for the Rooivalk's Development because of Helicopters like the Russian Made Hind that was a major threat to the South African Forces during the latter stages of the Angolan Campaign.

A chap I know flew the French made Alouette during the Bush War in Angola and he said that whenever they encountered a Hind Helicopter they and the Pumas Helicopters which were faster, high tailed it out of there.
He claimed the only effective weapon against the Hind was the Italian made Impalas which could shoot with their front guns and had the range as opposed to the Mirage.
He said that several Alouette Pilots ditched their helicopters by putting them down on the ground if a Hind came within shooting distance and abandoned the helicopter to save themselves.

Re Rooivalk:
One of the major points Turkey was not in favour of was that the Rooivalks Motor was not made in South Africa, but in France or Italy, not caring to check now.

Rooivalk helicopter performs a 360 loop
 
From the little I know I think the previous regime pushed for the Rooivalk's Development because of Helicopters like the Russian Made Hind that was a major threat to the South African Forces during the latter stages of the Angolan Campaign.

A chap I know flew the French made Alouette during the Bush War in Angola and he said that whenever they encountered a Hind Helicopter they and the Pumas Helicopters which were faster, high tailed it out of there.
He claimed the only effective weapon against the Hind was the Italian made Impalas which could shoot with their front guns and had the range as opposed to the Mirage.
He said that several Alouette Pilots ditched their helicopters by putting them down on the ground if a Hind came within shooting distance and abandoned the helicopter to save themselves.

Re Rooivalk:
One of the major points Turkey was not in favour of was that the Rooivalks Motor was not made in South Africa, but in France or Italy, not caring to check now.

Rooivalk helicopter performs a 360 loop

Interesting. I'm not surprised at how they behaved when coming into contact with a Hind *shudder*

Used to have Pumas fly over my house all time where I grew up. It wouldn't last long at all against a Hind :D

The Rooivalk is much more agile compared to the hind which was basically a flying tank. Very different IMO.
 
Last edited:
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X