Dev career coaching

krycor

Honorary Master
Anyone know where one can get a coach ? Kinda like a mentor but more for career direction and check in with.

Usually companies have this as part of their organization but for non International / US/EU companies this is pretty non-existent and you kinda have to figure out and find your own way.

I suspect the need for this huge in SA as in my 10+ yes doing dev I’ve have a mentor 2yrs and then nothing and even then company related so not career orientated.

krycor

Honorary Master
You can post here and people can try to guide you.

Nah I prefer something less public. It’s weird though.. I never really worried too much but about career etc but longer you in it the more you realize that you need some sort of plan as business won’t.

The, what’s the English equiv word, mirroring? thing with wife after work and usual talking about experiences isn’t so great as she isn’t in tech.. so cool for office stuff, not with tech haha.

Ironically I’m good with the roles reversed. Meh.

midnightcaller

Expert Member
I have sent you a PM.

I’m curious to know how you came to the realisation that you need a coach.

cguy

Executive Member
3kK2.gif

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I never really worried too much but about career etc but longer you in it the more you realize that you need some sort of plan
*the older you get

When you're in your magical early 30s and think: "this is it? Who's gonna pay me to code when I'm 40?"

s0lar

Expert Member
*the older you get

When you're in your magical early 30s and think: "this is it? Who's gonna pay me to code when I'm 40?"
Had those thoughts, had opportunities to move into management. Spent half my days in meetings, hated it. Now have come to the realization that I am a forever tech, that’s where I get my job satisfaction.

randomcat

Expert Member
Anyone know where one can get a coach ? Kinda like a mentor but more for career direction and check in with.

Usually companies have this as part of their organization but for non International / US/EU companies this is pretty non-existent and you kinda have to figure out and find your own way.

I suspect the need for this huge in SA as in my 10+ yes doing dev I’ve have a mentor 2yrs and then nothing and even then company related so not career orientated.
Offerzen got a program running but I think you need to have less than 5 years experience to qualify. (I'll double check now)
Lol With 10 years of experience I would think you could be someone's mentor.

suitophobia

Do you have an OfferZen talent advisor? I'm sure if you popped them a whatsapp they'd be happy to chat.
(Disclaimer - I work at OZ).
Also, as randomcat says, I think our mentorship program isn't exactly what you're looking for. Shout in the DMs if you don't come right and I can potentially intro you/reach out to someone who might be keen/able to help.

cguy

Executive Member
@krycor Given that you have 10 years of experience, is the issue that you don’t know what you want to do next? Or is the issue that you don’t know how to get there?