Diagnosed with Keratoconus, Should I get contacts?

Planetary-Devastation

Active Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2014
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
I recently visited the optometrist to get contact lenses since my eyesight is very bad, Upon entering the room I told him I'd like to get contact lenses and he said he does not issue them and checked my eyes. Before this visit I didn't know I had keratoconus, I thought it was just myopia so I had been using glasses(helped a bit but still couldn't see small text). After telling me I have keratoconus he strongly recommended that I should not get the contact lenses as it would make it worse. I did some research on wikipedia about the condition and it says it can be corrected with contacts so I'm wondering why a professional of high prestige would recommend against it. I can't see what's on the blackboard in class but I can see what's in front of me(book on table etc). My brother has them and he says he sees brilliantly with them(he too has the condition, although at a very young age).
 
I recently visited the optometrist to get contact lenses since my eyesight is very bad, Upon entering the room I told him I'd like to get contact lenses and he said he does not issue them and checked my eyes. Before this visit I didn't know I had keratoconus, I thought it was just myopia so I had been using glasses(helped a bit but still couldn't see small text). After telling me I have keratoconus he strongly recommended that I should not get the contact lenses as it would make it worse. I did some research on wikipedia about the condition and it says it can be corrected with contacts so I'm wondering why a professional of high prestige would recommend against it. I can't see what's on the blackboard in class but I can see what's in front of me(book on table etc). My brother has them and he says he sees brilliantly with them(he too has the condition, although at a very young age).

Your optometrist is grossly misinformed. go and see a specialist.
Your only solution to being able to see with keratoconus is through the use of specialist contact lenses.
 
Your optometrist is grossly misinformed. go and see a specialist.
Your only solution to being able to see with keratoconus is through the use of specialist contact lenses.

100%

I have the same. Look into 'corneal cross-linking' I think it's called. Stops/slows the degeneration of your sight.

The contact lense(s) you need have to be custom made to fit the cone on your cornea (or something like that).

See to it sooner rather than later ;)
 
I have keratoconus in both eyes and have had epithelium off advanced callogen cross linking on the one and now wear a hard contact lens on that eye and have had a DALK corneal transplant on the other 5 months ago.

You need to go see a specialist. You need to have scans done to check the shape and thickness of your cornea and then have them done periodically to track progression.

The specialist will advise the best treatment for your specific eyes.

Initial scans and consultation were about R1200 and with discussion of my options took 45min.

My left eye was just good enough to pass a drivers licence test. I had cross linking done and it stabilised. The procedure was around R7000 and took less than an hour from start to finish. Very few medical aids pay for this procedure. It was under local anaesthetic and painless, but 2 hours later the pain was intense, but manageable. The pain went away 2 days later and it was scratchy for a week.

4 months after cross linking I got a hard contact lens fitted. It was 2 visits and around R2400 in total. With the lense fitted I have 6/3 vision in that eye. It takes a little getting used to in the beginning, but now I often forget I'm wearing it. The lense must be taken out every evening and cleaned and stored for the next day. The lense doesn't have to be replaced until the prescription needs to be changed. No swimming or showering with the lens in though.

My right eyes vision deteriated very quickly, in a matter of months. At its worst I couldn't see the biggest letter in the eye chart. My cornea was to thin to be saved and cornea transplant was the only solution. I checked in at the hospital at 8am and was released at 12pm. It was general anaesthetic. 16 tiny stiches hold my donar cornea in place. Recovery was less painful than the cross linking but a little longer. After 2weeks the pain was completely gone. I had to sleep with an eye patch at night for a month so that I didn't rub it in my sleep. The operation cost R75k in total of which the medical aid covered most, but they all only pay for locally sourced organs, but most corneas are sourced in USA. So they only covered R12k of the R24k cost of the donar tissue. There was R2k additional anaesthetist fees which they didn't cover aswell. 5 months later now my vision in that eye is good enough to pass a drivers test. I need to put eye drops in the eye for a year, starting at 6 times a day, but now I'm down to 2 times a day. My stitches are coming out 1 year after the operation. The vision improved very slowly, but steadily since the operation. It was like looking through a misted shower door and now it is similar to my other eye when the lens is out and it gets better every week. There is a slight visible ring where the new tissue meets the old but it's not really noticible as it lies at edge of the iris. It will fade with time. The stitches are so small you can only see them up close.

Lastly, regular soft contact lenses won't help keratoconus unless it is very mild. Hard lenses achieve the best results. There are hybrid lenses especially made for keratoconus. I was advised against them by my optometrist as his previous patients that had tried them didn't achieve good results and then had to move on to hard lenses. The other negative of the special kerataconus lenses is the cost. R6000 and they only last 4 months, before you need to buy again.

Good luck and shout if you have any questions.
 
Report your optometrist to the HPCSA where they have to be registered. They will investigate the matter.

An optom that says that could actually be fronting as an optom.
 
Im sure Syntax will comment too when he sees this.
I had crosslinking done in one eye and didnt bother to go back for the other, did epi off and it wasnt pleasant.
It depends on your age as to whether crosslinking will be a benefit or how fast its progressing.
RGP lenses are the best treatment but can be very uncomfortable, if the comfort is an issue then hybrid or piggy back lenses are a good alternative.
Bottom line is that with a RGP hard lense it fills with tear fluid and corrects the curvature which is the only thing that will really help.

Personally I have managed with glasses for the last 7 years since being diagnosed but Im going over to RGP now to make sports more enjoyable.
Try finding your bike in transition in a triathlon with eyesight that bad!!
 
How did your optometrist diagnose the kerataconus?
It is not normally something they are able to diagnose. You would need to get scans to view the corneal thickness and also the locations of where your cornea is thinning.

I would strongly advise getting a proper diagnosis and then going to an optometrist who specialises in the disease for lens correction.
As you can see in this thread already, everyone will experience things differently, this is due to where the cornea is thinning, personal comfort levels and sensitivity and the severity of the disease.

You may need to try multiple fitment methods, and unfortunately, the disease can accelerate and you will have to repeat the process again. Depending on your age and diagnosis, there will be various recommendations and treatment methods.

You also need to feel comfortable and confident in your treatment. dont be afraid to question things and always try get more than one opinion.

The plus side, is that for all but very severe cases you can get fairly decent vision with high comfort levels with the use of lenses.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X