Dial-up going strong despite broadband boom

czc

Honorary Master
Wow, I just died a little inside think of how long I was on dial-up.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Shame.

Even CellC on EDGE/GPRS is faster/cheaper than that.

A lot of Banking Software still require dialup connections. The previous company I worked for had an FNB system which required dialup solely, it was impossible to run it over DSL.

I won't say all of these dialup connections are end users.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Actually there is places in South Africa where there is Telephone lines and no Cell coverage, you would also normally get no ADSL as its to far from the exchanges.

Not everybody lives in the city

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
A lot of Banking Software still require dialup connections. The previous company I worked for had an FNB system which required dialup solely, it was impossible to run it over DSL.

I won't say all of these dialup connections are end users.
Yes, that sounds like a far better explanation actually.

Personally I have not heard of a single person on dial up in years.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
dial up sucks massively! :sick:

It's about as effective as a fart in a SuperNova! :p

I pity the people who still have to use that.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Yes, that sounds like a far better explanation actually.

Personally I have not heard of a single person on dial up in years.

The FNB system was called PACS and had something to do with payments\accounting etc. not quite sure.

I spoke to FNB personally about it and they confirmed that dialup is a requirement and it was impossible to run it over another connection. It dials straight to FNB.

milomak

Honorary Master
i would cry if i were to be forced back to dial up

though i have to say i do miss the noise that the modem made when connecting

RJMadCat

i would rather NOT have internet than use Dialup. Even the Post office would be faster sending mail than dialup.

The number of dial-up users in SA is however declining. Dial-up subscriber numbers peaked in 2004 (two years after ADSL was launched)

And at that time i was in the UK with a 10 MB uncapped unshaped line for R350

Last edited:

MikeCTZA

Expert Member
My Mom is still on dialup for her "Send/Receive" of email and no interest in anything more web based it has been fine for her. She will be using the Vodacom R399/yr dongle in the near future which will work out cheaper for her.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
The FNB system was called PACS and had something to do with payments\accounting etc. not quite sure.

I spoke to FNB personally about it and they confirmed that dialup is a requirement and it was impossible to run it over another connection. It dials straight to FNB.

That's not dial-up internet, that's just using a modem to hook up to the banks servers. I doubt the figures in the article include them. I wonder who else still uses modems. I know that I've got one plugged in right now for faxing from my PC, but I haven't called an ISP or BBS for years.

I'm proud to say that I'm one of the 15 000 that hooked up in 1994:). Although I don't know if I was counted, because my first few sessions were via SLIP through SCO BBS. Those were the days. [sigh]

|tera|

Master of Messengers
That's not dial-up internet, that's just using a modem to hook up to the banks servers. I doubt the figures in the article include them. I wonder who else still uses modems. I know that I've got one plugged in right now for faxing from my PC, but I haven't called an ISP or BBS for years.

I'm proud to say that I'm one of the 15 000 that hooked up in 1994:). Although I don't know if I was counted, because my first few sessions were via SLIP through SCO BBS. Those were the days. [sigh]

It is actually dial up internet. Google worked and other pages as well. I think it dialed via SAIX but used a Bank supplied username and password.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
It is actually dial up internet. Google worked and other pages as well. I think it dialed via SAIX but used a Bank supplied username and password.

I never knew that. I thought that once it's past a certain point on Telkom's network, all connections look the same. I guess they made an exception.

Park@82

Honorary Master
Actually there is places in South Africa where there is Telephone lines and no Cell coverage, you would also normally get no ADSL as its to far from the exchanges.

Not everybody lives in the city

+1, my parents for example. And satellite is way to expensive.

Joe Average

These numbers are just a little bit too rounded (700 000, 500 000, 400 000, etc.) for my liking. And then again I don't believe anything that Arthur Goldstuck says anymore - he is worse than WeatherSA.