Do I need a special VOIP handset or is there another problem?

technophobic

I installed fibre about 4 weeks ago and ported by Telkom number to MWeb for VOIP. On their advice, I installed Zoiper on my cell phone (Samsung S7) . It's a business number, so it's important to me to keep the number consistent.

It's a disaster. Either callers can't hear me or I can't hear them. It is sometimes completely dead and others just very hard to hear. I think about 4 calls have been successful.

I"m not sure if it's the app, or the service provider. I'm reluctant to spend R2k on a phone to discover the problems persist. Any advice would be very welcome.

panayi

I bought a Siemens A510IP from Cool ideas to transfer my Telkom line to VOIP through them - plugs into LAN and works like a bomb. Additionally, my old Siemens DECT (analog only) handsets can pair with the new base station.... so extend across the house. Would defintely recommend the Siemens for VOIP...

I set up FreshPhone on the A510 as well as on Zoiper. Also works great - have not tried to link the ex Telkom line to Zoiper yet.

technophobic

Thanks Panayi, but please will you dumb this down for me.

Looking at their websites, it seems Cool Ideas is your version of Mweb. I'm locked into Mweb on a contract so can't change, but I'm guessing their technology is probably comparable. Does that sound right?

Why do you need FreshPhone as well as Zoiper? Are they doing the same job?
Or is that the wrong question? Should I be asking why you need FreshPhone and a Siemens A510?

coop

While the A510 is OK, you don't need to spend that much. All you need is a VOIP phone, there are several cheaper ones here https://shop.dbg.co.za/VoIP/

FreshPhone is this http://www.freshphone.co.za/ you basically signup and prepay into your account to make VOIP calls. But it's aimed at home users rather than business and does not allow things like multiple incoming lines.

Zoiper is an app that uses your mobile data to establish a SIP connection (just think of SIP as a way for your phone to talk to a server on the internet). You need to do some tests to identify the problem. So firstly, while you are at home, connect your mobile to your wifi connection and stand near the router (to ensure you have a good signal) then test Zoiper there.

The aim here is to narrow down the problem. I think you will find that Zoiper works well when the connection is over your wifi. The thing is, Zoiper makes voice calls using your mobile data, so if you are in an area with a good signal, it will work well. But if your in an area with a poor signal or congested network, then it will work very badly if at all.

Replacing Zoiper with one of the handsets here https://shop.dbg.co.za/VoIP/ will likely solve that problem, but of course, you'll be stuck with a solution that does not allow you to roam freely.

AsteriskUser

You can port your number to freshphone, assuming its not an 086/087 number. Freshphone works well as a home solution, however, I would be reluctant to run a business over it, for that I would look into a fully fledged Cloud PBX system. I can say gigasets work pretty well, as well as their counter part the Yealink W52/W56P. Zoiper is cool as a free app, but it doesnt support push notifications so you very well may be missing calls if the app closes. You should try Groundwire, its not free but it works very well especially as a low cost solution.

Milano

Honorary Master
Had the whole A510 setup with Atcom desktop phones and IP-PBX but those voice calls are just such bad quality half the time. The whole landline communication thing has become hit and miss with multiple vendors, callers calling you from VOIP phones. Even phone large JSE250 companies from your cell and notice how they are on like whisper level due to VOIP crap. Aggghh. Vomit.

Evil-Twin

The problem is likely with Mweb and I can almost assure you that it is a codec issue. The fact that there is one way voice, meaning people can't hear you or you can't hear them points to a codec mismatch. As far as I remember, Mweb only wants G729 or G711, can't remember which one... Try changing your codecs on your softphone app and see if that helps.

Spectrum1

I see this was posted in 2017.
It is now 2020 and some of the places/products mentioned are no longer available.
I have the same problems though, so I need an update please. Or any newer technologies which have become available.
(And keep it simple please. As Technophobic asked "Please dumb it down".)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Could be your local network having a problem or even some firewalling issue on your router.

Not necessarily the VOIP service itself.