• No

Votes: 78 28.1%
  • Not yet (but planning to)

Votes: 66 23.7%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
This one is geared towards homeowners but do you harvest rainwater? If so what do you use it for?

Or do you have another non-municipal supply such as a borehole at your disposal.

OCP

Expert Member
Yebo - have water from roof going into a 5000l jojo tank.
Washing machine is hooked up to tank so have not used municipal feed for any washing since the water restrictions started.

Also have a borehole but only use that as a last resort for garden and topping up pool.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Nope - Have a borehole
That's also a possibility for us - there are numerous underground springs that our neighbours have tapped into with only minimal (12-15m) drilling.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Yebo - have water from roof going into a 5000l jojo tank.
Washing machine is hooked up to tank so have not used municipal feed for any washing since the water restrictions started.

Also have a borehole but only use that as a last resort for garden and topping up pool.
How clean is the water? I'd imagine that if it comes from your roof, it might end up quite dirty.

Most folks I know with JoJo tanks use them for lawn-watering and pool filling, not really more household stuff like washing machines. It's a clever idea but I'd be concerned about bird poo and dust.

OCP

Expert Member
How clean is the water? I'd imagine that if it comes from your roof, it might end up quite dirty.

Most folks I know with JoJo tanks use them for lawn-watering and pool filling, not really more household stuff like washing machines. It's a clever idea but I'd be concerned about bird poo and dust.
I funnel the water from the roof through a sieve I made that catches all the twigs/leaves/etc.

There is some sand at the bottom of the tank that I will have to vacuum out one day.

Have a fine filter connected to tank outlet which catches any fine particles.

Then goes to pump which feeds the washing machine.

The water is very clear and so far it's been as good/clean as municipal - washing machine has been happy and no problems so far.

We went from an average of 20kl per month before the water restrictions to 6kl so it's been a good investment.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I funnel the water from the roof through a sieve I made that catches all the twigs/leaves/etc.

There is some sand at the bottom of the tank that I will have to vacuum out one day.

Have a fine filter connected to tank outlet which catches any fine particles.

Then goes to pump which feeds the washing machine.

The water is very clear and so far it's been as good/clean as municipal - washing machine has been happy and no problems so far.

We went from an average of 20kl per month before the water restrictions to 6kl so it's been a good investment.
We don't have any leaves to worry about but sand is going to be a problem. Where did you get your filter from?

How many tanks do you have?

OCP

Expert Member
We don't have any leaves to worry about but sand is going to be a problem. Where did you get your filter from?

How many tanks do you have?
Got the filter from the local fish/irrigation shop.
The outlet is about 10 cm from the bottom so plenty of space for heavy sediment/sand to settle. Only a thin layer atm but will make a plan sucking it out if it starts to build up.

Only the one tank for now (in back garden outside the garage - moved washing machine into garage on the other side of the wall)

To catch all the water coming off to roof I would need several tanks and some would be on the road side where they would be appropriated very quickly :-(

bro-da

Yip collect to JoJo tank. also have a pump linked to it so pressurized water comes out of a tap for the cars and pool etc

Neuk_

Expert Member
We have limited space for a large tank otherwise I would love to do what my manager has done with a borehole pumped through a filtration system in to a 10kl tank and then in to his main municipal water feed with the borehole pump set to only work during day light hours while there is PV power available.

Nod

Executive Member
Harvest rain water in the winter, and use it for the garden in summer.
Also using grey water for watering as the tank is not big enough to last the whole summer.
Plan to get a more automated grey water system going in future.