Do you have security cameras installed where you live?

Do you have security cameras installed where you live?

  • Yes

    Votes: 129 62.3%
  • No

    Votes: 71 34.3%
  • Other

    Votes: 7 3.4%

  • Total voters
    207

MartinGB

MyBroadband Staff
Joined
Jan 31, 2020
Messages
409
Reaction score
639
Do you have security cameras installed where you live?
 
Do you have security cameras installed where you live?
That sounds like something a criminal would ask.
Yes, I have 4 around the house. Need 3 more for proper visibility in dead spots

sus-fry.gif
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3WA
8 dotted around the outside of the house including 1 on the roof for a street view.
 
I've got a Ring doorbell, does that count?

There are also a couple Ring cameras inside that we activate when we go away so we know if the security company remembered to feed the cat.
 
I've got a Ring doorbell, does that count?

There are also a couple Ring cameras inside that we activate when we go away so we know if the security company remembered to feed the cat.

Is that an optional extra or standard with your subscription?
 
Yes. I use the TAPO and EZVIZ Cameras. I found them better than the CCTV box, and they do triggered recording of movement. Its about 500-1500 a camera plus a 128gb microsd card. Extended their cables using the same as the micro ups cables, so run then via the ups too. The colour nightvision are the ones to go for.

1. We have a retired grandpa that we help install some around the road. So coming into the cul de sac, the security gates, and around the cul de sac. We running them wifi. And they have held up well.

Crime is almost non-existant now. There were 4 criminals who walked through, robbed further down the suburb, our guy sent the cops what these suspicious guys looked like as they passed us, and they got caught a few minutes later still with the loot.

Vagrancy has also dropped. They dont like to be filmed trying to pee or poo in front of the cameras, and also bad driving. Caught an hit and run on the camera from one guy who stays down the road. Yip he wasnt impressed we caught him. He didnt have insurance
 
Do Security Cameras Deter Crime? While it's clear that security cameras can't deter 100 percent of crime, in general, most academic studies have found them to reduce and deter crime overall.
 


So you can either pay subscription and record onto the cloud. I record onto a memory card, so would be a bummer if they steal the camera itself, but I have triggered photos to my phone. Otherwise works well. You dont need a DVR or NVR as per a normal cctv system. You can get one though if you really want I believe.

1697525577642.png
 
Are these studies done in South Africa?
Internationally. But I have to say we see far less vagrants in our area. Out of about 18 houses in our Cul De Sac we have about 9 that has cameras but they watch infront of the house so you cant come in or out without being seen at any time of the day. The grandpa's camera setup runs off solar, and we have wiring running underground to the ends of the road too. Our security gate is also locked, and everyone had to buy their own key for it.

But yip crime is non existant. I havent had a break in though for 12 years. Even cancelled ADT. But yip I would probs have ADT in Joburg but in CT Northern Suburbs really not needed.
 
You seem crime increases the closer you are public transport also. In the Northern Subs of CT there are hardly any public transport, so a criminal cant break in, then wait 30 mins or more for a taxi.
 
Our estate has cameras installed everywhere with a control room which is manned 24/7. I have no need for personal security cameras.

In fact, do not understand how personal security cameras can help anyone. For such a camera to contribute to your safety, it needs to be constantly monitored by someone with a weapon close at hand - especially between 4 am and 7 am. I doubt if any normal household does this.
 
I've got a Ring doorbell, does that count?

There are also a couple Ring cameras inside that we activate when we go away so we know if the security company remembered to feed the cat.
Make sure you're not racist, or someone does not claim you are...

 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X