Do you sweep your chimney? (indoor fireplace)

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
32,137
Reaction score
1,893
Location
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
We have an indoor fireplace like the one in the picture. uploadfromtaptalk1435646602760.png

Where the chimney goes up into the wall, for whatever reason there is (or was) a WOODEN cross-beam around the metal chimney part.

Last night it caught alight and took our two little fire extinguishers to put it and the actual fire out.

We're probably going to get the whole thing inspected before we use it again, but I was just wondering if you people with indoor fireplaces (open and closed like this one) have your chimneys swept (regularly or at all)...

https://youtu.be/e1hfVvcxh-w
 
Nope, I looked through it the other day and it's somewhat clean.

Only problem that I have is that some of the damn smoke finds its way into the living room as well.
 
Our is all enclosed like in the pic, so even if I make it up to the roof I'd imagine it's pretty difficult to see inside...

The SO is calling some chimney sweep people for a quote...
 
You need to clean it before chrismas for father chrismas to enter.

There is the joke about the builder told the guy his chimney would not not until he was fully paid. After receiving the payment the builder throw a brick inside up and some glass broke, now the chimney worked well.
 
I have an open fireplace and the chimney swept about two years ago. Will probably have it done again next year before winter.
 
I do mine myself. Cost me R300 odd for the equipment and takes half an hour.
 
I was actually just looking at a product by Megamaster which claims to clean chimneys and remove soot (was at Builder Warehouse).
The only problem I foresee on your side is that the instructions require you to make a "hot fire" and let it cool down - the product must be placed on the glowing coals / embers and should start working right away. Price was around R150.
 
Nope, I looked through it the other day and it's somewhat clean.

Only problem that I have is that some of the damn smoke finds its way into the living room as well.

Is your chimney high enough? I had the same issue with our fireplace. The minimum height is based on the 2-3-10 rule, 2-3-10 which means 2' above anything within 10' and a minimum of 3'. I had to extend my chimney by almost 1m in order to get above the minimum height. Since then its been working without an issue. Nearby trees cam also negatively impact the airflow around the chimney.

chimneyrule.jpg

Depending on how often you use your fireplace it should be swept every 2-3 years.
 
Last edited:
Our is all enclosed like in the pic, so even if I make it up to the roof I'd imagine it's pretty difficult to see inside...

The SO is calling some chimney sweep people for a quote...

The usual price is about R750 for a chimney sweep. But you only really need a chimney swept if the chimney is "rough" on the inside. If it was plastered it shouldn't need sweeping very often as soot etc doesn't stick as well to a smooth plastered chimney. Also, depends on what you're burning. If it is dry wood, it makes less smoke and residue. Wet or green wood gives off more stuff so would cause more things to stick to the inside of the chimney.
 
I was actually just looking at a product by Megamaster which claims to clean chimneys and remove soot (was at Builder Warehouse).
The only problem I foresee on your side is that the instructions require you to make a "hot fire" and let it cool down - the product must be placed on the glowing coals / embers and should start working right away. Price was around R150.

My solution is re-useable. So it is R300 once off for life.
 
The usual price is about R750 for a chimney sweep. But you only really need a chimney swept if the chimney is "rough" on the inside. If it was plastered it shouldn't need sweeping very often as soot etc doesn't stick as well to a smooth plastered chimney. Also, depends on what you're burning. If it is dry wood, it makes less smoke and residue. Wet or green wood gives off more stuff so would cause more things to stick to the inside of the chimney.
Thanks.

We just bought the place so we're concerned about what previous tenants may or may not have done.
 
Thanks.

We just bought the place so we're concerned about what previous tenants may or may not have done.

What? Like having sex on the kitchen counter?:twisted:

I hope you placed a cutting board under that samie that you made for lunch.
 
Thanks.

We just bought the place so we're concerned about what previous tenants may or may not have done.

I'd say in general it wouldn't be necessary to have a chimney sweep. If the fire draws properly then you will know ... you could also make a smokey fire wet stuff, etc ... and look outside to see how it draws. Initially though, you need to get the fire nice and hot, so that the hot air rising thing can work. The 750 which they charge you can do at a later stage because it is a pretty clean operation and you don't need to take special precautions, but it is best to get the cast iron checked out if you already had a mishap.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X