Do you use third-party anti-virus software?

Do you use third-party anti-virus software?

• Yes

Votes: 62 55.4%
  • No

Votes: 50 44.6%

• Total voters

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Do you use third-party anti-virus software on your PC? What program do you use?

Trompie67

Expert Member
No, and Yes.

No on individual machines, all running Windows Defender.

Yes in ipfire which is in front of all the machines - ipfire runs clamav.

BTTB

Kaspersky Free

Slows down my old PC like crazy though, so half the time I pause the real time scanner for a couple of hours while I am working on my PC or exit the program completely if I am playing an online game.
While I don't expect to get any viruses, unfortunately in this day and age you need a backup in case you get an infected email attachment that has passed through your ISP's spam filters and now resides on your harddrive as an email attachment. Kaspersky picked up a couple this year and deleted the infected part automatically, otherwise my machine remains clean.
No Windows Defender, its an old XP machine.

mister

Executive Member
I use Windows Update as an antivirus... every few months the piece of **** reinstalls my operating system wiping out any viruses.

airborne

Executive Member
Avast, luckily it has gaming mode which I leave on permanently so it doesn't have sh#tty popups all the time.

It does have some new Mal:url bullsheet that somehow tracks dodgy domain requests by the browser, I'd love to know how it does that but it's annoying as hell robot voice "virus has been detected" randomly and I can't find how to get rid of the feature.

It's almost ready to get turfed.

Defender had some big negative last I used it, I think it was popups, doesn't have a gaming mode but I may have to return to it and see.

Do people with common sense and uptodate OS still get infected with "real" viruses that can do malicious stuff?

I haven't had one for years, maybe even decades, last time I really remember viruses being an issue was Xp days.