Does this mean I can get adsl?

STORMERSFAN

Expert Member
Please advise as to whether I'm eligible to get adsl after seeing this.. Just moved into an apartment...

Attachments

• IMG_20210314_081920.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 53

WAslayer

Executive Member
No.. all that means is, at some point ADSL was there.. Telkom have been killing it off left right and centre and you may well be in an area where it is now dead or may be dead pretty soon..

Check a few ISPs websites and enter the street address for the building, to see whar services are available.. maybe you are lucky and can get fibre..

STORMERSFAN

Expert Member
No.. all that means is, at some point ADSL was there.. Telkom have been killing it off left right and centre and you may well be in an area where it is now dead or may be dead pretty soon..

Check a few ISPs websites and enter the street address for the building, to see whar services are available.. maybe you are lucky and can get fibre..
When I type in my suburb(Wilgeheuwel) on Afrihost/mweb/Axxess.. They all say adsl is available.. Oy thing is I don't see any connections inside the apartment.. Will Openserve come and do an installation if it says adsl is available?

WAslayer

Executive Member
When I type in my suburb(Wilgeheuwel) on Afrihost/mweb/Axxess.. They all say adsl is available.. Oy thing is I don't see any connections inside the apartment.. Will Openserve come and do an installation if it says adsl is available?
No fibre connection in the apartment means one of the two things:

Either the trustees for the apartment block have not allowed the fibre provider to install infrastructure or the infrastructure is there and the previous tenant just never had fibre installed.. speak with your landlord, who should be able to confirm whether fibre infrastructure is there or email the agent if you are renting through one..

And yes, if you have ADSL available, openserve will install..

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Please advise as to whether I'm eligible to get adsl after seeing this.. Just moved into an apartment...

I don't see the actual cable though only a termination point.

You can pm me your address so I can have a look to see if it's feasible for you..

MightyQuin

Not amused...
You will first have to apply to have a PHONE LINE installed.

Once that is done and active, apply for it to be converted to ADSL.

Otherwise Openserve will fuk it up....

Then the exchange may be full...or so congested that your speeds will be minimal.

Rather get LTE...

STORMERSFAN

Expert Member
No fibre connection in the apartment means one of the two things:

Either the trustees for the apartment block have not allowed the fibre provider to install infrastructure or the infrastructure is there and the previous tenant just never had fibre installed.. speak with your landlord, who should be able to confirm whether fibre infrastructure is there or email the agent if you are renting through one..

And yes, if you have ADSL available, openserve will install..
No :) I have a Fibre connection
although it's not active yet. Was just comparing R750 VS R395 for a 10 meg

Attachments

• IMG_20210314_125004.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 32

WAslayer

Executive Member
Take the fibre.. ADSL is being killed off and it is only a matter of time before your ADSL connection is dead.. fibre is more stable and lower latency anyway..

RedViking

Nord of the South
It is really the upload speed and consistency you must look at, as well as latency. The two can't compare. A 10Mbps Fibre line will be Faster than a 10Mbps in general. Adsl is a couple of 100 kbps upload, while fibre is most likely 5Mbps or 10 Mbps upload.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
They list my area as eligible still. But they've actually done away with it. They forced us to LTE.

netstrider

Expert Member
Some areas are "eligible" at the exchange, but Telkom has long given up trying to maintain copper infrastructure in certain areas where the cable gets stolen a lot.

As mentioned in other posts, ADSL is falling away so it's best looking at alternatives.