Do's and Dont's

Monka

Hi Guys,

I just need advise on a network that I will be working on, from Cabling to commissioning hardware.

Just a little background on the site.

Its a 2 storey office with a warehouse and planning to have the server downstairs, client wants a Voip solutions and we havent decided on the last mile solution has yet.

So I wanted to know as to what are the things I need to take into account in order to deploy a robust network solution.

I look forward to your responses.

Monka

2 wires runs.

1 for voip 1 for data.

Cat 6
Would it be advisable to get just 1 line for both data and voip? Isit possible to split the traffic to voip and data.

OCP

Expert Member
How many workstations / VOiP phones / wireless clients / servers ?
What connectivity (eg. Fibre) and speed?
What is your level of IT experience? (Ie. Are you going to manage and support it yourself or outsource?)

Data and VOIP traffic can be split on network level (separate cabling and switches or VLANS) or at the router through separate outgoing connections or by QOS.

Lots of options depending on your needs and skillset :)

Monka

It's about 32 workstations with voip linea and 6might be added if client permits

Monka

How many workstations / VOiP phones / wireless clients / servers ?
What connectivity (eg. Fibre) and speed?
What is your level of IT experience? (Ie. Are you going to manage and support it yourself or outsource?)

Data and VOIP traffic can be split on network level (separate cabling and switches or VLANS) or at the router through separate outgoing connections or by QOS.

Lots of options depending on your needs and skillset :)
Connectivity is not yet decided on.

Wireless client will be 5/6 or less at any given time as this will be sales reps with laptops.

I can say my IT experience is intermediate as I have the understanding of and experience of cabling and network.

The plan is to manage and support as that's the direction I am planning to take this year as a company hence I am asking for advise and doing my own research.

Thor

Honorary Master
Would it be advisable to get just 1 line for both data and voip? Isit possible to split the traffic to voip and data.
Don't do that.
Run 2 dedicated lines. If you run a single line then the Voip phone is in line and then your gigabit network is limited to 10/100.

Also the Voip line acts as a backup data line should something break (and things do break).

Crowley

Executive Member
There is no need to run two lines.
Don't do that.
Run 2 dedicated lines. If you run a single line then the Voip phone is in line and then your gigabit network is limited to 10/100.
Maybe back in 2005 but not anymore. Gigabit phones are all over the place.

Monka

Don't do that.

Also the Voip line acts as a backup data line should something break (and things do break).
Just to clear the air, are you referring to the connectivity lines or network points?

Monka

So are you saying it's not necessary to run 2network points for one work station?

Thor

Honorary Master

Yea, doubt he has gigabit phones. Most businesses still use the 10/100 and they won't just go out an replace all the phones because he doesn't want to run two wires.

beans100

Honorary Master
Don't do that.

/Check date of post :confused: wat??
You should upgrade those Nortel phones, you're missing out.

@Ghekko

Can i use any type of CAT 6 or UTP?
It really depends,Cat6 is guaranteed to support better speeds for future growth and can be used for horizontal cabling, Use STP for those areas with a lot of noise( ceilings/plenum) and UTP on wall plates to workstation as it is a lot cheaper than STP.

Monka

It really depends,Cat6 is guaranteed to support better speeds for future growth and can be used for horizontal cabling, Use STP for those areas with a lot of noise( ceilings/plenum) and UTP on wall plates to workstation as it is a lot cheaper than STP.
Noted. Where do you stock your cables and accessories

MDKza

Voice VLAN + Data VLAN single cable. No need for 2 cables per desktop.

EDIT:
Just replied without reading comments fully.
It appears some users are living in the 2000's still.

You definitely do not need 2 cables.
Have voice and DATA on the same port.
Shielded CAT6 cable if you are running over electrical wires.