Double Din head unit recommendations

jes

MyBroadband Alumnus
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new double din sized head unit to complement my sound system. I've got a new car and taken the old high-end sound system out but the fitted radio is a piece of cheap junk.

The sound installation guy recommended this Philips CED 1700. It has plenty of bells and whistles, and most importantly, a 3 band equaliser.

Of course, it isn't cheap, and a full touch screen and movie viewing capabilities is way beyond requirements.

So after that long winded introduction, my question: can anyone recommend a good double din sized head unit that won't break the bank?

Thanks!

Shayd

Expert Member
Go and take a look at www.autostyle.co.za they have tons of double din options and not crazy expensive either.

Sent from my apple stomping, berry crushing droid! Samsung Galaxy S.

jes

MyBroadband Alumnus
Is Auto Style reliable/reputable/honourable?

Shayd

Expert Member
Pretty much everyone I know who "kits" their car uses them.

Gushesh

Hi Jes, after quite a bit of research i decided to get Kenwood DNX7260BT/

I bought it from http://caraudiosecurity.com through Amazon.co.uk
I went for Kenwood as it uses Garmin maps for the navigation and the maps are updated via an SD card so would be easier to find SA maps and load them.
Also, the face plate is removable and it has built in bluetooth. Lots of the other units on market need extra modules to get the GPS and bluetooth working.

jes

MyBroadband Alumnus
Thanks Gushesh, I really appreciate your recommendation. You touched on all the concerns I had about the Pioneer device, which I understood uses a separately purchased Navteq GPS module, and has an irremovable face plate. I'll definitely check out the Kenwood device :)

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Hi Jes, after quite a bit of research i decided to get Kenwood DNX7260BT/

I bought it from http://caraudiosecurity.com through Amazon.co.uk
I went for Kenwood as it uses Garmin maps for the navigation and the maps are updated via an SD card so would be easier to find SA maps and load them.
Also, the face plate is removable and it has built in bluetooth. Lots of the other units on market need extra modules to get the GPS and bluetooth working.
If I may ask, how much did you pay for that unit including shipping? When I buy my new car I would like to upgrade my double din to something like that.

jes

MyBroadband Alumnus
That's a good question. The device looks fantastic, but the price of importing it is prohibitive :/

[Quattro]

Banned
Where did find that [Quattro]?
Mmmmmm im not a fan of the place that installed it for me... so dont want to advertise them, most sound stores that sell Pioneer should have it, its about R4500.

Gushesh

If I may ask, how much did you pay for that unit including shipping? When I buy my new car I would like to upgrade my double din to something like that.
I got it for just under R10,000 including shipping but i am currently in the EU on a project so im planning on bringing it back with me on the plane.
The cheapest price i could find it for in SA is R15,000.

jes

MyBroadband Alumnus
Yeah, my next fancy radio upgrade will be something Android based if possible :)

F

Fudzy

Yep, the Ca-Fi looks very cool. The issue (same as the Dynavin) is local support.
Yeah it's quite risky. I was actually meaning to ask Esquire if they would consider becoming local resellers, let me drop them a PM.

Naks

Expert Member
Yeah it's quite risky. I was actually meaning to ask Esquire if they would consider becoming local resellers, let me drop them a PM.
Nice, let us know.

I really don't see the point of paying R15K for an Alpine unit when one can get an Android unit that can do the same.

Granted, the sound quality will probably not be as good, but IMHO it's a good compromise.

Also Parrot has a 2DIN Android unit coming out soon: http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/08/parrot-asteroid-ck-asteroid-nav-asteroid-2din-infotainment-sys/

OCP

Expert Member
Necro resurrection :)

I recently got the Honda BRV which comes with a headunit that would have been considered lacking 10 years ago :-(
(no RDS / terrible sound quality / handsfree mic is a jok + LCD screen from 1982 does not support rearview camera)

Fortunately the dash has a perfect Double Din hole so replacement should be easy from that perspective (not accounting for wiring loom/etc)

Has anyone got experience with the NavTech units? (they look to have stock Android and would therefor be more versatile)
- I am an Android user so integration would be a bonus.

Alternatively the Sony XAV-AX100/AX200 look like a nice option.
Any other suggestions would be more than welcome too