Downgrading Acer Aspire 4315 to XP

geezer

Executive Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
6,304
Reaction score
6,123
Location
Sasolburg
Has anyone done it succesfully? What are the dangers and pittfalls to address before attempting to do so? I believe the most difficult part is getting Windows XP to "see" the SATA HDD. How can I overcome this problem? Any help will be appreciated.
 
Is it a SATA HDD? You'll need a XP SP2 disc to get the install to recognise a SATA drive. I'm saying SP2 cos I'm not sure if SP1 will see it...
 
Dunno why you want Windows, but anyways...

There's an option in most BIOSes to switch on IDE emulation (or something like that).
 
Has anyone done it succesfully? What are the dangers and pittfalls to address before attempting to do so? I believe the most difficult part is getting Windows XP to "see" the SATA HDD. How can I overcome this problem? Any help will be appreciated.

I bought an Acer laptop more than a year ago, Vista was hopeless at the time (or rather, the hardware vendors out there haven't updated their drivers yet to work successfully on Vista) so I downgraded to XP. Since I had a Vista Business licence it included the XP Pro licence; so I just requested the XP CD from Acer, installed it and don't recall any major hassles. My point is, with an Acer XP CD it's already configured for your specific Acer laptop series' hardware to avoid any possible serious issues.

Before installation, all I had to do was go into the BIOS setup and change the boot order so the DVD drive was read first for the CD installation.

After the installation everything worked except my built-in webcam and bluetooth device, but I just re-installed the drivers for them to solve the problem. You can get your specific laptop series drivers here:
(maybe download the drivers for your hardware as a precaution before install anyway)
ACER DRIVERS:
http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/
OR
http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/ftp/ftp.html
OR
http://www.acerpanam.com
 
Last edited:
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X