Driving In Australia

eek

Expert Member
Does anyone know if an international drivers licence is required to drive in Australia?

Just_Ice

Executive Member
They just convert your license to an international driving permit and thats that.
No hassle

eek

Expert Member
I have been told though that you do not need an International drivers Licence to rent a vehicle in Australia however, your Licence must be easily identified as a "Licence" which means it needs to say so or a translation may be requested.

Your Licence must also state details like name, expiry date etc.

But there's so many conflicting information which is why I was hoping someone who's been in this situation might shed some light on the matter...

Frankie

Executive Member
I have been told though that you do not need an International drivers Licence to rent a vehicle in Australia however, your Licence must be easily identified as a "Licence" which means it needs to say so or a translation may be requested.

Your Licence must also state details like name, expiry date etc.

But there's so many conflicting information which is why I was hoping someone who's been in this situation might shed some light on the matter...
I worked in Auz for one year and drove a rental for that time - they accepted my card style SA license.

Last edited:

Byakuya

Expert Member
I didn't know one could drive in Australia. I thought you would have to get there by air first! lol! Kidding. My aunt lives there and there is this road that is one way before noon and the opposite way after? What if you on it at 12hoo?

eek

Expert Member
I worked in Auz for one year and drove a rental for that time - they accepted my card style SA license.

Thanx! That'd be good!

I didn't know one could drive in Australia. I thought you would have to get there by air first! lol! Kidding. My aunt lives there and there is this road that is one way before noon and the opposite way after? What if you on it at 12hoo?

Avoid head-on traffic? :p

They have a similar system in Vancouver though where they change lane direction certain hours of the day to ease congestion, for example, there will be 3 lanes into the city during the morning rush and they'll switch it over in the afternoon for traffic leaving the city. They do it with a traffic light system where they close the lanes from the one side, and when clear they open the lanes for traffic from the other direction....a good system if you ask me! Sure they follow a similar pattern where your aunt lives.