DSTV Decoder Trouble

Chris_H

Expert Member
Just wanna know, I bought a new decoder (the normal single view decoder) a couple of months back and recently noticed that the audio would disappear for around 5 to 10 minutes and then come back. Switching channels doesn't help. Anyone else have this happen to them? I already had to swap out the new decoder once as it went t1ts up :(

bsntombela

Sure happens to me too!!!

At one stage I thought it was my newly acquired 42" black Samsung LED Full HD that sits right next to my newly acquired PS3 in my new bachelor pad...;-)

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Happens to me too - and I have a dual view - sometimes for entire episodes....

Kloon

Expert Member
Yep getting the same with my decoder. A reset fix the audio, but still irretates me.

McGuywer

Executive Member
The problem is with the decoders firmware...
DStv isn't actually updating the firmware.

Chris_H

Expert Member
Thanks for the input guys! now at least I don't have to make time to get it swapped out again. *erm... might have been better than having the fiance moaning and bitching every time this happens though lol

dr_phalange

Happens to us as well...

Newest problem since last week Thursdays software update is that the frequency of the remote is now the same as my Sony TV/DVR...so everytime you press a button it opens some stupid DSTV decoder menu...

Exceptionally annoying, and sadly no way to fix it!

Sackboy

Executive Member
It doesn't happen on the DSD990.
We occasionally have no audio on a channel, but, hey, this is Efrika.

kayvee

Expert Member
Switching channel then reverting back tends to fix the audio, at least on the HD PVR. Very annoying, though.

It's not a frequency issue dr_phalange, all remotes operate at an IR carrier frequency of 38kHz, it's more like a decoding issue where a new code has been implemented on the decoder side, which happens to clash with your Sony one.

dr_phalange

Thanks Kayvee

Heard from a friend with a LG DVR that's doing the same thing.

It sounds like anti-competitive behaviour to me...buy our PVR decoder or else!

Can we institute a class action suite ;)

Milano

Honorary Master
Depends on your decoder model but I see some software updates for certain decoders were released today - see the forums on dstv.com.

CrzWaco

Expert Member
Anybody having the problem where movie magic channel 2 sound would be mute? all the other channels are okay, apart from the audio volume inconsistencies.

Sackboy

Executive Member
can you point me in the right direction what is needed to get DSTV and the Dreambox working? What is needed if I have a current dualview setup and how does the EPG work?
As far as the EPG is concerned - DSTV have gone their own way with that system. It means you would have to load a file 'scraped' from DSTV listings and compiled. It won't load their EPG as their own boxes do.